NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Scott Walker's a Big Deal Outside of Wisconsin Too

Politics.
I really hate talking about politics.
Everyone has their own opinion, and 99% of the time there is no hope of changing it.

However, Scott Walker is a little difficult to avoid talking about. Personally, I thought it was a hoot when The Daily Show covered the protests in Madison last year. Being married to a union worker myself, I've had the opportunity over the last two decades to find out what unions do (and don't do) and feel strongly that while unions aren't perfect (is anything?) they definitely serve a purpose and are needed. Most corporations, given the opportunity, would screw over the workers to increase profits for the guys at the top. But workplace safety, both physical and mental, is where it's really at. And union busting is really what the "budget cuts" were about.  I was stunned to discover that not everyone agrees with this philosophy, including a friend I went to school with. When I told her my daughter was collecting signatures for the recall Scott Walker petition she voiced her opinion that unions just weren't necessary in "this day and age". When I told her how safety standards would slip if unions were eliminated, she refused to believe that could happen in this enlightened time and is behind Scott Walker and against unions 100%. My husband's huge, well-known company has tried numerous times over the years to push through contract changes that would increase the likelihood of injuries on the job, not to mention take away vacation and sick days and curb pay increases.

Crap. I'm talking about politics!

Okay, that's all I have to say about this particular topic. The recall election is coming up on June 5th, I plan on voting against Scott Walker, and I hope enough people in Wisconsin do the same so that the teachers and other state union employees can get their right to collective bargaining back.

And, as my title suggests, Scott Walker is a big deal outside of Wisconsin, too. We found this out on our latest trip to North Carolina. The campground owner where we stayed in Cherokee mentioned him right away when learning we were from Wisconsin. She is also pro-union, her experience being with miner's unions in West Virginia, I believe. While staying at Lake Powhatan Campground outside of Asheville we ran into a man with an opposing opinion who stopped us on our bike ride to enlighten us. We happened to be filming with our new GoPro camera at the time, so enjoy the show. You'll be able to hear our fellow camper better when he approaches us, just hang in there because I'm still figuring out how to edit video in the software I just downloaded today. Oh, and notice how I keep looking for exit opportunities and when I finally get one I pedal like crazy to get out of there!



And on the subject that our fellow camper covered at the end of this video...I'm sad to report that the constitutional amendment in North Carolina he was referring to did pass. And the hate goes on. Watch the video and sign this petition at Human Rights Campaign's website if you're as appalled as we are.  Even though we don't like talking about politics...and religion, as my husband states in our video, sometimes you just have to.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read that Mr. Walker is known outside of Wisconsin. Take comfort In the fact that for every person you run across with this guy's opinion, there are just as many, if not more who side with you.
    I can't wait to vote against Mr. Walker in June.

    Concerned Citizen of Janesville

    ReplyDelete