NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, September 21, 2012

John Muir trail in Kettle Moraine

The John Muir Bike Trails are single-track, mountain bike trails are also open to hikers, and it's the only trail system in the Kettle Moraine Southern Unit that I hadn't hiked yet. Five different loops ranging from 1.25 miles to 12 miles are located within this section of the forest, and they vary in difficulty and terrain.  Bikes and cross country skis are available to rent in LaGrange just a five minute drive from the trail head parking lots from both the John Muir and Nordic systems.  If you're looking for interesting hiking in southeast Wisconsin, Kettle Moraine is hands down the best. To read my review of the Scuppernong trails go here.

 


I saw everything on my 8 mile hike on Thursday from tall pines in sandy soil to meadows to narrow rocky sections that twisted and turned mercilessly up and up and up.  I started my hike by going in the opposite direction of the bikers on the blue trail.  They've restructured some of this trail so it doesn't really correspond to the maps posted on the trail, and I got turned around onto the old trail and the emergency exit a couple of times, adding 2 miles to my original plan. I finally made it to the spur for the Pioneer Lime Kiln, seeing a few fall flowers and berries with insects out enjoying the beautiful day too.


Kettle Moraine doesn't have much in the way of fungi, but there were a couple of logs that were doing their best along my route.


It was only a 1/2 mile one -way detour to the lime kiln. I guess I was expecting something a little more extravagant for all my sweat and effort, but the lime kiln was simply a crude, circular lime kiln which was probably constructed by Norwegian settlers by digging into the ridge and lining the pit with granite boulders. It is about 10 feet deep with granite walls and a clay floor. Limestone was collected and put into the pit, covered with brush and logs and then set on fire.  The intense heat would turn the limestone into a powder that could be used for mortar, plaster, whitewash, soap, candles and other products. The kiln might not have been very impressive, but I was glad for the excuse to rest for awhile before continuing on to the orange loop and making my way out.  It was a good thing I did, because that orange loop was steep, narrow and rocky.  I can't imagine riding a bike on it, you'd be on your brakes the whole time trying not to slam into trees on all the tight curves!



I've been finding that my Keen hikers are great for traction and stability but on long hikes like this one the bottom of my feet are quite angry due to lack of shock absorption. Does anyone know of a good hiking shoe that also offers some springiness? I have a history of plantar fasciitis and also some mild arthritis of the knee and really need footwear that will temper the impact. We're headed for the Porcupine Mountains in a week for what is probably our last trip of the season and I plan to do a lot of hiking...as much as I can before the cold Midwest winter sets in!

7 comments:

  1. You sure have given me a great desire to do some hiking in Wisconsin one of these days. Not somewhere I'd ever thought as a great trail state, but then those are just preconceived ideas. ALL states have beautiful places to hike! My boots are Vasque Breeze and I LOVE them. Someone would have to give me a very compelling reason to consider changing. I can hike two miles or eleven miles and my feet feel the same. The rest of my body may be ready to keel over, but my feet are good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first pair of hikers were Vasque, and I didn't hike as far in those so I don't know how they would have held up. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find a nearby retailer.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Eight miles! You're my hero. I don't think I've ever gone more than seven miles. No wonder your feet hurt. Would it help to add an insert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I add an insert I'll have to get another pair anyway because then my toes will be right up to the front of the shoe. I used to wear custom orthotics but thankfully I don't need them anymore! If I get a new pair I might try a cushioned insert with them when I buy them.

      Delete
  3. You found some great subjects to photograph. My hiking boot recommendation? I've used Lowa boots for many years. Lowa makes great boots and they work wonderful for my fussy feet (I have bunion issues) I'm on my third pair. Highly recommend the Lowa brand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda, I know you put in the miles! It looks like Erehwon carries them, I'll head out there this week and try on those and some Vasque too!

      Delete
  4. Great article! Thanks for sharing I added some thoughts on Hiking in Wisconsin sometime ago

    ReplyDelete