NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

I Don't Need No Stinkin' Snowshoes...Do I?

Just yesterday I commented on Mark's blog that I decided I don't need snowshoes.  Sure we had almost a foot of snow last week, but look how quickly it disappears, and besides in a few years I hope to never see another January in Wisconsin.

Yesterday on the Ice Age Trail in Kettle Moraine

And then I woke up this morning to 6 inches of snow.  Maybe I do need some, I'll have to look in to how much they cost.

Kettle Moraine today

Luckily my work appointments were close to home, and I stopped at Kettle Moraine for the 2nd day in a row for a hike.  This one was a little more strenuous than the day before, but someone had been out before me so I had their footsteps to walk in.


I chose a path about a mile from the one I took yesterday, knowing that the flatter Scuppernong Springs Trail would give me enough of a workout while goose stepping through the snow.


I've mentioned this trail a few times; it's directly across from the Ottawa Lake campground and an easy but interesting hike. The hiking trail is a former railbed that led to Eagle Lime Products company that mined marl here almost a century ago.  After only six years of actual lime production (1908 to 1914), mining and processing operations ceased. Some of the ruins are still located along the trail.  There was some new graffiti that I actually enjoyed.


Since I met Barbara and Ron in 2014 I think of them whenever I come here.  I've been catching up on blog reading one blog at a time this month, yesterday it was Mark from BCB, tomorrow I'll have to check in to The Road Less Traveled.


The wildflowers and even the lichens are things buried or waiting under piles of leaves to spring forth on warmer days, but I did spy the above peeking out of all the white.

my sweatshirt I throw on over my work clothes is making an
appearance in quite a few photos lately...

Proof that we got 6 inches, I held my phone up next to the snow piled on the bridge rail and they were the same height!  The weather forecast for the rest of the week for the state looks fair which is good because I hit the road for 3 days with my mother tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

  1. We have had snow but nothing like that, I miss walking in snow

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need snowshoes till the snow gets knee deep...which, of course, is different for each person relative to height. It just adds to the workout, which is good, right?
    mark

    ReplyDelete