NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

I'm Lichen Whitbourne

Wisconsin isn't the only place to be shaped by glacial sheets, Newfoundland's ponds and lakes are the result of glacial scouring as well.  I finally had a walk in Whitbourne back in April that has been on my list for quite awhile.


The rich soil in Sir Robert Bond Park around Junction Pond from that glacial activity and other factors has made the spot a breeding ground to Degelia plumbea, a rare lichen found in only a few locations.  


 Also known as the Blue Felt Lichen, it needs high humidity and is sensitive to pollution and disruption of its environment. It is very rare in Newfoundland and New Brunswick, but a little more commonly found in Nova Scotia.


Sir Robert Bond Park has plaques with information about Degelia plumbea and lovely benches to enjoy the view of the trees and the pond.


 Of course other lichen were growing on the trees as well, and I took my time scrutinizing the bark to see how many I could find. Lichens after all are the ultimate indicator of how clean the air is, something I am always grateful to know when I am out walking.




2 comments:

  1. I love finding interesting lichens. There were some along the old stone fencerow at our old place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete