NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, August 2, 2020

King's Cove Lighthouse

I had thought about staying right out on the Skerwink Trail in my tent back in June (and next time I will!) but after I mentioned it to a fellow hiker I realized it might be safer not to advertise I was alone in such an accessible spot.


So off I went to King's Cove to have a new adventure before the day was done.  After a rough ride on a long gravel road I finally reconnected with pavement and arrived at the small town of just under 100 residents.


I parked at St. James church and began my trek out to the lighthouse with all my gear in tow.  Past the meadow and up the hill through the clouds of black flies waiting for me in the trees I went, sweat pouring off me and my arms quivering from the extra load in my arms and on my back.


While having a rest and letting the sweat dry I heard motorized bikes approaching.  Two local gentlemen accompanied me the rest of the way to the light, happily helping me with my gear and showing me around.


Even though it was solid rock at the light itself that is where I decided to pitch my tent to escape the flies.  The wind wasn't bad at all for being exposed to the water, and I thanked my new friends for their help and settled in for the night.


I'd been advised to make the short walk out to Fish Point for the view before sunset, and not only got a view of some fantastic rock formations but also a great view back to my tent.  As I've mentioned the black flies were numerous so I didn't hike the loop and will have to do that if I ever return.  Black fly season is short but miserable as they are tiny and their bite is painful.  Bug repellent doesn't do much to keep them away either so avoidance or bug net clothing is the best way to go.


King’s Cove received their lighthouse in 1893 and the cast-iron tower was erected on Western Point.  Designed and manufactured in the Chance Brothers factory in Birmingham, England, the separate sections for the tower were shipped to Newfoundland and assembled at King's Cove using overlapping riveted joints, common to 1800's ship building and boiler making technology.


With all the lighthouses I'd been to over the years, how had it never occurred to me to spend the night?  To be fair back in the States just pitching your tent any old where is not really as commonplace as it is in Newfoundland.  Here anything is fair game as long as there isn't a sign posted saying otherwise.


I was really glad I made the trek out once sunset finally arrived. Don't believe that is what it looked like? Here's the 17 second video shot from inside my tent panning from the sunset and then up to the lighthouse above me.



I was drifting off to sleep when I thought I saw a flash of light.  It was a bit windy but storms weren't in the forecast.  Then I saw it again.  And again. Umm, yeah, a LIGHThouse.


Once I realized what it was I discovered it was easy to ignore and drifted right off to sleep.  Thank goodness there wasn't a foghorn sounding!  Why don't people sleep overnight at lighthouse sites?  Maybe all the LIGHT?


The morning was beautiful but the flies were out again so I had to pack up quickly.  A word about the tent pictured here.  I bought it at Canadian Tire and the material makes a very loud plastic rattling sound even in very light wind that has woken me frequently every time I've slept in it so I am now back to my old tent.  Not all waterproof tents use the same material, just a tip for anyone who might be in the market for a new tent!

More adventures on the way...

3 comments:

  1. Such a great place, and your sunset photo and video are superb! Thanks for braving the black flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete