NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Going Cold Turkey in Munising

I have an addiction. Anyone who has spent time around me knows my "dark" secret.
Lately I have been unable to stop myself from eating 6-8 of these dark beauties a day. I decided the time had come to regain control. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no intention of quitting completely and forever, but I do need to bring myself back down to an acceptable limit, and I've found that the only way I can do that is to go cold turkey for a few days. We left for our 2 week trip to Munising, Michigan on Friday morning and I knew this would be an ideal time. Of course I couldn't go cold turkey on a travel day, the boredom leads to nothing but thoughts of chocolate melting on the tongue. However, once we had arrived and were busy seeing the sights I knew I would have a fighting chance.

So our first full day in Munising went something like this:
Wake up just before sunrise to scope out the early morning light possibilities for photography. While our site had some beautiful views, none of them were lit appropriately with that morning glow. So, bowl of cereal and back to bed for 2 hours. Yes, two hours! Wayne spent the month of July and a good chunk of August working a huge amount of overtime, and for him this trip is all about getting some rest and relaxation.

Eventually we made our way to the truck and motored down to Chapel Road to check out the trail to Chapel Rock and Chapel Beach. It was a six mile round-trip hike, but it was worth it.



 I had a difficult time getting any decent shots due to our afternoon arrival of 2:00, but after multiple tries I finally got a few that weren't too bad. I was able to get this last shot by wading barefoot through the waves across the sandstone shoreline. After I did it, of course others followed!

Another way to forget all about chocolate cravings is to make some new friends...

We stopped at this little bridge to wipe the sand off our feet before heading back the other 3 miles.

By the time we got back to the parking lot we were exhausted! I had to swear I wouldn't push for a hike again the next day. We drove back to downtown Munising to pick up some groceries. Wayne enjoyed the view outside while cooking his steak on the grill, and I enjoyed the view of Wayne from inside the camper!


It's not usually my style, but I pulled up a chair and joined Wayne in taking in the breeze off Lake Superior.


Keeping busy worked and I made it through the whole day without even missing my Dove dark chocolates! And, as we discovered, we have the best view of the sunset from Site #5 at Munising Tourist Park Campground!

2 comments:

  1. Don't know how I missed this post. I'm not sure I'd want a stink bug for a friend. :) If sitting outside isn't your usual style, what is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam & Wayne,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Munising to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete