NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Waterfalls and Whitefish

Yesterday we decided to start the day off by driving over to the Miners Castle area. It was late morning when we got to the Miners Castle lookout and the light was all wrong for a shot, so we took the Lakeshore Trail down to Miners Beach. The trail was mostly level, except for one steep section that wasn't that long. As we hiked along Miners River we flushed out a grouse, and flushed one again on our way back. Unfortunately he was way too quick for me to get my camera up in time!


After our hike we went back to the RV for lunch and a rest, then headed back out again, this time to Munising Falls, which was a short, easy stroll from the parking area. We also checked out the boardwalk at the Marsh Trail just down the road, which was supposed to have an active beaver colony, but looked almost completely dried up.


We made our way to Miners Falls, and while admiring them heard someone say that the ranger said swimming was allowed at the base of the falls. Well, that was all the permission I needed to climb under the railing and start making my way down.

I picked my way along the ledge to see if there were any close-ups to be had, but there was too much spray. I got nice and wet when my foot sunk down into the river further than I thought it would...only up to the knees though! I waded my way past the hopping frogs on the edge to get these shots.


And then this one was my favorite one of all!


After clambering back up, we struck up a conversation with another couple from Michigan who were up here on an RV trip also. Kathy and Dennis told us they had taken the kayak trip the day before, and that they weren't experienced kayakers either and found it to be manageable, so we'll definitely get around to that and see the things we can't see from the trails that way instead of taking the cruise, in answer to Judy's question!

For dinner we picked up some whitefish filets from Brey's Fish Market and broiled them in the oven with some butter and pepper - they were delicious! Just before sunset we headed back to Miners Castle to get that photo opportunity we didn't get in the morning. We knew the sunset cruise would be heading by at some time, so we waited a bit and I was able to get the shot that I wanted. The sunset itself wasn't spectacular from that point, but the light was much better at that time of day.


1 comment:

  1. Didn't know there was a kayak trip. I'd definitely do that instead. Better picture opportunities I'm thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete