NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Volo Bog


I saw online that America's State Parks were offering  "First Day" hikes. Unfortunately in our region today, highs were in the low 30's with gusts of wind over 40 mph! I doubt they had much of a turnout at Kettle Moraine today! If the wind hadn't been so bad I would have gladly taken a short drive over to Volo Bog in Illinois and gone for a short hike. I've been there a few times and would have loved to hike again on the Tamarack View Trail which is 2.75 miles long and winds around the bog.When I went last spring I was lucky enough to be able to spy on a family of Canada Geese for awhile from the level trail.

After completing the easy loop hike I decided I might as well add the 1/2 mile interpretive trail that is mostly constructed of floating sections of boardwalk and platforms.


As I was finishing up my stroll...I spied some muskrats in love! I loved the little squeaks they were making!
 
 

 So, a hike in Volo Bog in winter will be a new experience...but I think I'll wait for some snow and a nice calm day! Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. I clicked over to check out your blog and went back all the way to the beginning. You're pictures are beautiful, especially my favorite red rocks of Moab. Actually all of southern Utah is my favorite. Although, I have quite a few other favorites too. Anyway, I can't wait to see where you'll head next. I'll be watching and reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back to the beginning on your blog too! I'm in agony this week because I can't plan our trips for the year...and I keep thinking of Moab and wondering if I can slip it in somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking you must live pretty close to my sister. She's in Island Lake.

    ReplyDelete