NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Adventures in Moving


On Friday Cory and I had to load up Katrina's bedroom furniture, our old couch and our old kitchen table with chairs into a UHaul and drive it up to Eau Claire. Wayne had to work so we were on our own, and it didn't get off to the greatest start when I arrived to pick up the UHaul without my purse. I was so busy trying to get everything organized that I forgot the most important thing! By the time we went back again we'd lost an hour, but we got the truck loaded pretty quickly and were on our way by 3:00 for our 4 1/2 hour drive.

 After we helped her unload her things and get them into her home for the year we drove to Lake Wissota State Park in Chippewa Falls. Cory decided he'd rather stay with me instead of at Katrina's house so we could get on the road early. We didn't get there until after 10:00 so I had to set up my new tent cot in the dark while Cory settled into his luxurious accommodations in the back of the Vibe. I bought the tent cot so I could go camping this summer when Wayne was working since I only work part-time.

 
  
  

Wayne and I had been to Lake Wissota when we moved Katrina up to her dorm 2 years ago, but hadn't really spent any time exploring the park. The lake is a 6300 acre man-made lake and is popular for fishing, canoeing and kayaking. I got up at 6:00 am to go for a walk on the Lake Trail which ran right behind our campsite. I walked down to the beach area, enjoying the solitude and quiet since most campers were still in bed.



We were on the road by 8:30, heading for Madison. We stopped at Whole Foods for some non-perishable groceries, and as usual I snacked my way through the store!  Our next stop was the Henry Vilas Zoo, where I was hoping to get some good shots after being inspired by some photos taken by Erin from Two To Travel. The zoo was crowded and half the exhibits were closed, which was disappointing. I specifically wanted to try to see the flamingos with their eggs, but was not as lucky as Erin was. There was a group on a mound of dirt that was in a difficult location to see, the mid-day light was harsh, and some fencing was obstructing most shots I tried to take. The weekend didn't really come together the way I had planned, but sometimes that's how it goes. I've decided it's actually easier to shoot wild animals...who knew? I got a few shots of the flamingos squabbling with each other, and I humbly offer my best attempt below.





1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your visit to the zoo didn't turn out as you had hoped. You're right about 'wild' wildlife photography -- provided the animals cooperate :-)))

    ReplyDelete