NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Feeling Irish on Mural Monday

Where do you go to feel a little Irish on a January afternoon in Wisconsin? Paddy Coughlin's Pub in Fort Atkinson! And as if their delicious corned beef sandwich that I had for lunch wasn't enough to win me over, there was also MURALS!


In the second mural I suppose the message is that if you drink Guinness you'll be strong enough to haul the cart instead of the horse, but I like to think that the horse is so drunk he had to be toted home!  Also, if you look closely the name of the pub is stenciled on the cart behind the horse's hooves.  Paddy Coughlin's Pub also carries a wide variety of New Glarus beers.  If you remember from my New Glarus brewery tour I'm not a beer drinker so I can't be objective, but everyone else seems to love them.

To make the fun even more complete, here's a few delightful Irish sayings to tide you over until St. Patrick's Day:

"Never dread the winter till the snow is on the blanket"

“It is better to be a coward for a minute than dead for the rest of your life”

 “Better fifty enemies outside the house than one within”

“A scholar's ink lasts longer than a martyr's blood”

“Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”

“Everyone is nice till the cow gets into the garden”

 And last but not least:
 "God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world"

This post is linked to Oakland Daily Photo's Mural Monday, head on over for a look! He posted about MLK today...I didn't think of that when I posted mine recently! And today I'm posting Irish murals instead of waiting for St. Patrick's Day. Anyone who knows me would agree that I'm impatient and impulsive!

9 comments:

  1. Love the murals. The Irish sayings are great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved the old Guinness ads, they show such an innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking murals with such detail. I like the sayings and wish I could keep them in my memory bank but it doesn't retain things as it did in days past. ODP is a she by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Guinness ads are a real gem. and both the beer and the mural if far better than the beer and mural I posted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I are transplanted Newfies so the theme of your mural hit close to home and made me smile!

      Delete
  5. Like the clean lines, humor, and nostalgia of the Guinness ads. And the sayings you posted. Irish pubs are definitely fun places to be no matter what. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your interpretation of the second mural ... and those quips are lots of fun. With a name like Erin, you'd think I'd have some Irish blood in my veins. Nah ... it was just a name easy to pronounce in both English and Turkish.

    P.S. Thanks for turning me onto Monday Mural. It inspired me to process a mural photo and post it in my photos-only blog ... our Viewfinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked out your photos only blog, I'll have to head over!

      Delete