NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring or Winter?

It was supposed to be a beautiful day on Sunday so I headed out to Kettle Moraine's Scuppernong Trails for a hike.  The wind was a bit strong so a forest hike was in order, but as I drove the temperature dropped, and by the time I arrived there was snow on the ground and it was only 35 degrees!  I was watching an episode of "Happy Endings" on TV last week and Jane said, "Early spring in Chicago is really just winter."  Got that right!  This time last year we were in North Carolina, enjoying what spring should really look like.


Well, I had hoped to search out lichens and other things that were harder to see once the forest leafed out, so I pulled up my hood and carried on.




There wasn't much to see and I was getting a little disheartened, but I checked a pile of rocks just off the trail and things got a little more exciting.






There wasn't much after my exciting lichen find, and I plodded on, up and down the ridge.  And just when I was getting tired and needed a lift.....


As I was taking pictures I realized I was catching my reflection and lined up for a better shot.  Even though the snow had melted it was a "merry" ending to an invigorating 2 mile hike.  Still, next time I'm in Kettle Moraine hiking I'd rather see some dragonflies, pull some garlic mustard, and hear the wind blowing through the leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Nice shots of the lichen. And I really love your last photo! :) Hope spring comes to your neck of the woods soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series, Pam and Wayne. Wow, I see the winter hasn't gone there. It looks all so cold...bbbrrr. I hope spring will soon come to you. It arrived here in the Netherlands very shy. Thanks for visiting my blog. I wish you a great day. Greetings, Joke

    ReplyDelete