NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, April 16, 2012

Lake Powhatan and Pearson's Falls


We spent 4 nights at Lake Powhatan Recreation Area in Asheville earlier this week and just loved it! I would definitely stay again if we return to the area. They have some sites with full hook-up and we were lucky enough to snag the last one upon check-in. All sites are first come-first served at this USFS park. Sites are large and very well maintained, restrooms are immaculate, and the camp hosts went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. They even helped us find a mechanic in town who squeezed us in to get our brakes worked on...on a Saturday morning! The park has miles of mountain biking trails, which we took advantage of on two different days while we were there. I wore the new GoPro video camera, but our laptop doesn't have any software for editing it so I'll have to post it after we get back home. The trails were much wider than mountain biking trails in Wisconsin are, but also steeper! Our hearts were pounding pretty hard, and we hopped off the bikes to push them as much as we pedaled them I think!




One of the camp host couples recommended we head over to Pearson's Falls in Tryon. The trail to the falls is only 1/4 mile long, but it was beautifully maintained by the local garden club and as much a treat for the eyes as the waterfall itself was.

 

 Jack-in-the-Pulpit was one of the few wildflowers still blooming, but I had to look really hard to find it! We saw a LOT of flowers during our stay in Asheville, but that hard to find Jack-in-the-Pulpit is still one of my favorites!


 

3 comments:

  1. You're making me want to leave the West and come visit all that beautiful greenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you say that...I've been comparing it to Utah all week! The greenery and the flowers are fantastic but I still see red rock whenever I close my eyes! It's a little too easy to take a nice photograph of a beautiful flower! Just yesterday I "casually" mentioned to my husband (not for the first time) how southern Utah would be a better place to winter than Florida or Arizona to avoid the crowds.

      Delete