NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, April 25, 2014

Our Little Secret


When Mom and I were at the Sugarlands Visitor Center the other day the ranger told me about a service road behind the dump station across the road that was full of wildflowers.  Mom didn't want to go, but I parked off to the side and went in for a stroll.

Foamflower

If you're looking for wildflowers, this place is an easy to access jackpot!  I saw every flower that I saw on Hen Wallow Falls without having to climb a mountain.  Not that I regret that hike, the waterfall shoot in the rain was a great experience.

Toothwort

Everything was shimmering with water droplets and so healthy looking next to the creek.  Sweet White and Yellow Trillium carpeted both sides of the trail.

Yellow Trillium

My eyes even caught sight of this cute little snail as I was walking around looking for Jack in the Pulpit.


I didn't find the Jack, but I did find the Crested Dwarf Iris just when I was getting ready to turn back around.

Crested Dwarf Iris



The trail kept going but Mom was waiting so I had to turn back.  But yesterday afternoon I drove back over there after tending to my allergies.

First May Apple sighting of the year

Right where I parked the car I spotted some May Apple and Showy Orchis blooming.

Showy Orchis

I don't know what flower the one below is, but a bee sampled it and it was the only around.


I wasn't even technically on the trail yet and I heard a sound off in the undergrowth.  A couple of turkeys were enjoying the tourist-free area too.


That wasn't my only wildlife sighting.  On this trail and also on Curry Mountain I heard the sound of tiny newly emerged grasshopper nymphs pinging off the crackly leaf litter.  Check out the eyes on this fella.  Anyone who knows anything about grasshoppers at this stage please comment and educate me!


I also spotted the Canadian Violet, easily identified due to its unusual height.



A little further in on this short trail I spied a Swallowtail that I've seen a few times in the area.



The trail is slightly overgrown, but not so bad this early in the year.  There were a few blowdowns, but nothing that seriously impeded progress.


I also saw tons of Beaked Violet.


And after a couple of creek crossings I even spotted ONE Jack in the Pulpit.




Finding a spot to get a picture of my little hiking buddy was tricky, but I eventually found a spot I thought a monkey would love.



4 comments:

  1. My kind of place - lots of wildflowers in a condensed area. Good shot of the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting pretty good with that camera!!! Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice flower shots, especially of the iris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really getting some beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete