NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Moments in Merrill

I don't have to work for the rest of this week so I loaded up my car and headed north to try to escape the heat.


I made it as far as Merrill Wisconsin today, a town that has seen better days but still makes for a pleasant drive.


We live right down on the Wisconsin Illinois border so it took me a little over four hours to get this far. And unfortunately the temperature only dropped about 3°.


Merrill is home to Council Grounds State Park which in turn is home to many mosquitoes.


The campground is fairly small but almost full which is surprising on a Tuesday in such an out-of-the-way park. Wayne and I stayed here once before and enjoyed it but it is not a destination park.


There are some trails but they are more the hands in your pocket type of strolls and not for the serious hiker.


I put my hands in my pockets and went for a mile walk but even with the natural mosquito repellent it wasn't easy to stay ahead of the whining pests.   And it is still just too hot to even think about going for a run.


That's OK, I will just crawl into my tent with my Kindle and get a good nights sleep. I wonder how much farther north I will have to go to get some cool weather?



1 comment:

  1. Well, not up here, it's not cooler, tho it is very windy. We got sidetracked today trying to drive west toward Ashland, but it took all day due to severe storm damage in northern WI, esp on the Bad River area. We kept being rerouted south and west, even onto logging roads (in our Tergel!!). Bad damage up here in some area. Hwy 2 is closed.

    ReplyDelete