NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Astoria Sunrise Serenade

I'm going to post this one in "real time" because I was just too excited!  I left early yesterday morning and spent some time in the capital city of Olympia, then took a waterfall hike in the woods, and then I pointed my car toward the Oregon border.


I crossed the Columbia River just before dusk and wanted to head toward the coast to get some variety in this trip.  It was a pretty hairy ride once it got dark in the rain, but I took my time and I could tell that in the morning I would be glad I had come because even in the dark it was undeniable that the scenery was going to be fabulous.


I checked in to my hotel in Astoria and as I always do I opened my window to air out the room....and heard the unmistakable chatter of sea lions!  I wondered how I would ever go to sleep knowing that I would wake up to sea lions!


The sun was breaking through the clouds bright and early and I hustled to the docks just outside my hotel.  I hustled a little too quickly and slipped on some ice on a railroad tie, but you take the bad with the good, right?  Look at all these sea lions!!


I enjoyed watching all the little dramas unfolding in the different groups.


I'll have to look into seal behavior later, but I assume this is all in good fun...or maybe a little rivalry?



Either way no one was hurt, though one did get knocked off into the water which was a hoot.


A few were above all the nonsense.


Dignified and regal, though you should have heard the deep throated bellow that came out of him.


And he seemed as happy to greet a sliver of sun as I was!




Off to discover the coast!

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Sea Lions are fun to watch, but up close they sure do smell bad:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's been some sort of a lot of bad feel planning with regards to with regards to seek treatise careers. Your current suggest about this meticulous paper functionality wedding Australia nevertheless offsets these losing some sort of invariable selected effulgent on these sacraments. Son of Prong

    ReplyDelete