NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Seeing Signs in Chicago

This post is an installment from a trip to Chicago in June with Katrina


While walking around Chicago on a hot and muggy June morning I had plenty of signs to read including the one on top of the Allerton Hotel and the one on its side telling me about the famed landmark.


Things are so tightly packed down there that a sign on top of a building gets kind of lost.


But the sign for the Inn of Chicago did its job and intrigued me to detour my route and go have a look.   Known as the Hotel St. Clair when it opened in the fall of 1928, it hosted many celebrities including Bob Hope, Gypsy Rose Lee, Judy Garland, Roy Rogers and Trigger, Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, and Irv Kupcinet.


Not all signs touched the sky, a few restaurant signs provided a colorful change.


And the Pizzeria Uno sign made me wonder what we would have for lunch.


Lunch happened much later, first a trip to Magnolia Bakery to look at the cupcakes was in order.


I didn't get a cupcake, too much frosting for me, but I did enjoy the signs they displayed.  Here's a close-up of the one on the post above.


But the most moving sign was the one on the street corner announcing the passing of a local man who wished passers-by a good day.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed visiting Chicago. there is so much history there. Of course, it helps if you have a guide there. My daughter lives in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete