NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Getting to Know PEI

To get to Prince Edward Island from New Brunswick most folks drive across the Confederation Bridge. At 12.9 kilometres (8 miles) it is the longest bridge in the world over ice-covered waters.  It takes approximately 10 minutes to cross over the Northumberland Strait in the southern part of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and at the highest point the bridge reaches 60 metres above sea level.  This allows large sea vessels, including cruise ships, to navigate under the bridge between its piers.


I'd never been to PEI before, so I was curious what it had to offer besides the usual Anne of Green Gables tourist attractions.  On this trip I stayed overnight in the large city of Charlottetown where I bought some licorice honey soap and lip balm from Soap and Candle from the Hive at The Founders Food Hall and Market.


I also stopped at the Musee d'Art which featured some interesting Canadian artists like this one.

Love amongst Carrots?

I can't remember the artist's name, but the unusual pieces certainly brought a smile to my face.

Cigar and a bath anyone?

On my next visit I plan to make my stops in Charlottetown and keep on going out to the more picturesque community of Summerside to stay overnight. The Celtic heritage of PEI is alive and well  at the College of Piping and throughout the summer the College has a busy schedule of ceilidhs and concerts, including free mini-concerts each afternoon.

You know I'm trying Grand Marnier in jam this summer!

During my brief stop I had lunch at Samuels Coffee House which serves up a good variety of tea as well as coffee and of course some tasty muffins and jams. Summerside is part of the North Cape Coastal Drive and the region is chock full of Provincial parks, beaches, scenic harbour towns, lighthouses, oysters and lobster dinners. I can't wait!

A long dash back on foot on a cold windy day

Getting to PEI on the Confederation Bridge is a snap, just remember you will have to pay a $40CAD toll on your back across.  I forgot to ask for my receipt for my expense report and had to run back in the frigid wind so if you need a receipt don't forget to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment