NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, April 2, 2020

The South Shore and More

On this trip there just wasn't a lot of time for stopping and having a look around the many towns I visited in Nova Scotia.  When I got out to drop my business cards at an office in Liverpool I noticed they had some painted fire hydrants. I thought that would be a perfect place to place a painted rock that had been given to me by someone else to make a journey across the Gulf.


I'm looking forward to my return to Barrington where a replica of Seal Island Light is home to a museum with artifacts from the local area chronicling the lives of local lighthouse keepers and the area’s seafaring history. The museum also is home to the second order Fresnel lens, which was in use from 1902 to 1978 in the Seal Island Lighthouse.


I spent the night in Yarmouth, so I had time for a sandwich at The Old World Bakery and Deli.  The bread was really good but the cookie was crisper than I like. They also had other items, and I loved the historic building and the wood floors. And you know you're in Canada when they bring you a dish just to put your used teabag in!


It was windy and cold, but I forced myself to take a 20 minute walk around downtown Yarmouth while there was still some light.  Another historic building I eyed lookied like it might house the local art museum.


The shops might have been closed, but a bit of window shopping was just as fun.


Mostly I stuck to the main highways on my trip, which meant I missed all the charming views but got me to my destinations quickly.  When I left Prince Edward Island I had a little extra time so I took scenic Route 6 past farms and snowy views of the Northumberland Strait.


 I even saw a mural on a garage, so of course I had to stop and take a picture!


 The only other scenic route I took was from Blue Mills through Iona on Route 223.  I'd driven along the other side of Bras D'Or Lake on my way in to Nova Scotia so a different view was in order as I drove back to wait for the ferry.


I can't wait to see all these places when they are green in summer and then again when they shimmer gold in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment