NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville


While we were staying at Lake Powhatan in Asheville we kept driving by the North Carolina Arboretum on our way to the campground. On our last morning there we decided to take a drive in and see what it was all about. The arboretun contains  434 acres with 65 acres of cultivated gardens and 10 miles of hiking and biking trails. Admission is only $8 PER CAR! Far less expensive than a trip to the Biltmore gardens, and in my opinion the gardens were much nicer here.


One of the exhibits was a bonsai garden, which we really liked. They had a separate section of bonsai only at the end that were on shelves with gray concrete behind them. My only complaint from this whole visit was that they could have done almost anything else to highlight these plants better. In my opinion the gray concrete took away from their natural beauty and the photos I took came out very flat and unappealing.


The main garden had paths that meandered away into the extensive acreage. There were a few people on the paths out walking their dogs or jogging. If I lived in this area I'm sure I would have an annual pass and be out here on those paths every chance I got! There were quite a few nooks and crannies like the one pictured at left that were away from the main areas that would be great for reading a book or listening for birds.

There was a greenhouse full of interesting but "wicked" plants that was inspired by the book "Wicked Plants: the Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities". My favorite was the white narcissus flower, which photographed surprisingly well for me!  My other favorite part of the gardens was the fern garden. I am just a sucker for those ferns, especially when they are still unfolding!



 As great as the plants were, I'd have to say the highlight of our visit was all the frogs in the little concrete ponds. They seemed to be immune to the presence of humans...even when I stretched out on the ground and put my camera six inches from their little faces. I can't imagine what I must have looked like to them! Some freaky giant creature with a big black appendage right in the middle of her face!

No comments:

Post a Comment