NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Elmer's Car and Toy Museum

Looking for something different? We found it at Elmer's Car and Toy Museum in Fountain City, Wisconsin. Antique cars, racecars and trucks, Indian and Harley Davidson motorcycles, antique bicycles and a collection of over 500 pedal cars. Not enough for ya? They also have a collection of dolls and toys as well. We almost missed this opportunity by judging a book by its cover. The cover looked a little something like this.


And that's the nice photos! After taking turn after turn up the bluff to get to the place, you drive past Elmer's, er, junkyard to get to the museum. When we pulled up to the barns we drove right through the aisles of cars that were busy being claimed by the earth.  We were very hesitant, but with no other plans we paid our entrance fee and walked over to the barns.

Unfortunately, photography is not permitted inside the outbuildings, which is a shame because some of those cars would have been a delight to shoot! The extent of the collection is really remarkable, many cars with hardly any miles on them. Their website does have a few photos on it, so click their link if you're wondering whether it's worth your time. The workers are all knowledgeable and were happy to share information as we walked around.  I didn't get into the buildings that housed the toys and dolls due to air fresheners being used in them, but Wayne enjoyed them while I wandered the junkyard aisles looking for inspiration. I didn't do too badly....but I sure wish I'd been able to photograph that robin's egg blue Auburn I saw! The worker told us about the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana, so I'm going to try to work that into one of our trips out east because I checked and they do allow photography.  In the meantime, enjoy the rusty stuff...I know Diana will love it!



3 comments:

  1. Wow - great shots of some fantastic rusty stuff! But I have a serious problem with places that don't let you take pictures. I don't think they would have gotten my business...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I didn't find out about the no photo policy until we were inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rusty stuff. I often sidestep places that don't allow photograph, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and visit them anyway, and hope for postcards you can scan.

    ReplyDelete