NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Woodland Dunes Nature Center

Woodland Dunes Nature Center is located in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, and is where I stopped to hike on Monday while exploring the Two Rivers and Manitowoc area.  I started my explorations on the Willow Trail heading toward the river, but after about a mile in I had to turn around and jog back to the car for some insect repellent. Mosquitoes! After applying I checked out their beautiful butterfly garden and on the advice of a volunteer headed back down the same trail again only this time I veered off to Todd's Pond and the Goldenrod Loop that encircled it. Destination...dragonflies! 



 

It's hard to remember to pay close attention to where you're walking while you're stalking dragonflies with your camera....I walked into two spider webs across the trail and brushed against a plant full of angry ants that bit as well.  Luckily I had my hat on or I would've gotten a face full of spider web!

When I tired of being attacked by the local miniature wildlife I exited the Willow Trail and made my way over to the Cattail Trail. The Cattail Trail had sedge meadows, shrub swamp, cattail marsh and alder thicket habitats all accessed by a lovely boardwalk. I stopped at David's Pond near the entrance to watch the dragonflies and frogs while cooling off in the shade.  After I got home I discovered there are a few more trails on the property that aren't accessed directly from the visitor center parking lot.  I'd also like to try the Willow Trail again, maybe in the fall when the mosquitoes have died down because I didn't quite make it all the way down to the West Twin River. It's always good to leave with something to look forward to on a return visit.










2 comments: