NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, August 20, 2012

Historic Cedarburg

 I've been to Cedarburg at least a dozen times in the past, mostly tagging along with my mother on "shopping" excursions. The town's main street is chock full of those little shops selling every thing you need, and don't need, for the home. I quit going some years back because due to my allergic issues with fragrances I wasn't able to enter any of the stores. Things haven't changed in that regard, at least 90% of the shops are selling scented candles for some reason, but I hadn't paid much attention to the architecture or what else it might have to offer in the past so I decided to give it another look on my way home from Sheboygan.




I stopped at Garden Goodies as I was
walking around because I've been
looking for some garden ornaments,
and yes, the shop was filled with
scented candles! But, most of what
I was looking for was outside.
I especially liked this one, but
didn't like it enough to spend $160
on it. It didn't look like it would
last more than a few seasons to me.









I bought two smaller items instead
and after putting them in my car
continued walking around. I was
going around Cedar Creek Settlement's
building, which is a former woolen mill
constructed in 1864 to make woolen goods
for the army, when I was surprised to find
a live version of the garden ornament.
I ran back to my car to get my lenses and
happily took a few shots from the bridge
on Bridge Road before he flew away.

As I walked around town I realized that
most of the buildings in town were built
out of locally mind limestone and fieldstone.
There are a couple of different architectural
styles used, but the town had a kind of "sameness"
to it.  Upon exploring the side streets I found
that even some of the newer homes had used
this local stone on parts of their homes, which
I did think was a nice tribute to their history.

While exploring the side streets I stumbled upon the Ozaukee County Historical Society which is located in the old railroad depot. When I started nosing around I found myself folded into a "tour" which was just beginning.  After listening to the well meaning tour guide ramble on for 20 minutes in the tiny building where there was next to nothing to see I excused myself, snagging a couple of pamphlets to places I hoped were more interesting.  One of them was for the last remaining covered bridge in Wisconsin which happened to be in Cedarburg.  I was sure I hadn't ever seen this before and drove right on over...where it turns out I recognized it immediately.  Still, I had fun putting on my Keen water sandals and splashing around in the creek with my camera while a professional photographer took senior portraits up above.  I bid farewell to Cedarburg and headed home to start packing the fifth wheel for our 10 day trip to Ely in Minnesota. If anyone else is going to be in that area at the end of August, give us a shout!




2 comments:

  1. Pam, are you trying to MAKE me come to Wisconsin?? LOL! Can't wait for you to start posting about Minnesota. A state I've never been in and is a serious contender for next year's Summer Adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love covered bridges. And you captured this one nicely. Looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete