NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fontana on Lake Geneva - The Shore Path Part 2

It took a long time, but spring has finally arrived in southeastern Wisconsin, or should I say summer?  We jumped right from 30-40 degree days to highs in the 70's.  A patient mentioned to me the other day that she had just taken a walk on the Fontana section of the Lake Shore Path so it was fresh in my mind when I was looking for something to do after my doctor appointment in Lake Geneva today.  Last summer I walked the Shore Path from the Geneva Inn to Fontana, and today I added another 2 miles onto my 21 mile trip around the lake by walking from the Fontana public piers to George Williams College in Williams Bay. 

As a reminder, parking in the area during peak season isn't free in most spots, but since this was a weekday before the full swing of summer I snagged one of the dozen or so 2 hour free spots down by the pier in Fontana.  If you're not interested in the full walk around the lake, make plans to be picked up somewhere en route or plan to double back like I usually do. Today the 4 mile round trip took me about 1.5 hours with all there was to stop and look at. To start off with there was an interesting bronze sculpture of a wind surfer that was created and donated to the village by Barb and Jay Brost.  I'm sure there is a better time of day to photograph it than at noon (bad planning on my part, as usual) but I made do by walking around it and shooting it with Lake Geneva behind it.  


 I followed along the marina for a bit and found the path in no time. It wasn't as fancy as on the other side of the lake, but the birds were singing, the trees were busy making leaves, and it was 77 degrees out without a cloud in the sky.


I had to scramble in quite a few places along the path as most piers are still piled up along the shoreline.  The Pier Docktors were busy at work and happily agreed to being photographed.



My favorite thing about the path is the variety of forms the path takes as it passes through the different properties, and I especially like crossing over all the little bridges.




The Fontana side doesn't have as many fancy boathouses, but I did like the stonework on this newer looking one.


As I said, most of the homes are a little more modest in this section, but this charmer is for sale.  Give Bob Webster at Keefe Realty a jingle if you're interested and you have at least a million dollars to invest in some Lake Geneva lakefront property.


Me, I'll just stroll along the Shore Path and enjoy everyone's back yard landscaping and the breeze off the lake for free. If you want to see some more glamorous Shore Path photos, check out my first post from last summer.



4 comments:

  1. I remember your post on this Shore Path from last summer. I was fascinated with it then and even more so now. Would love to walk this path sometime. Reminds me a bit of the Shore Path in Bar Harbor, Maine and the Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island. Guess the houses in Newport are a tad more opulent! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know they had a Shore Path in Bar Harbor, Sharon, have to add yours to my ever-growing list!! I was 16 when I was in Bar Harbor, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance! I don't think Wayne and I dropped into Bar Harbor at all when we went to Acadia.

      Delete
  2. Makes me smile when I see you mentioned Lake Geneva as I keep thinking of the one between Switzerland and France, think it might be a bit bigger as well. Nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog from a google search looking for maps and access points on the trail. Thank you so much for the information and the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete