NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Time for a Quick Walk?


The weather was beautiful the other night, and a look at the clock told me I had time for a quick walk so I hopped in the car and drove a few miles down the road to Genoa City's section of the Grand Illinois Trail.

They've done a prairie restoration project there, and not much was growing yet, but things are finally getting started around here.



Of course, in the days since things are busting out all over, trees leafing out and blossoms everywhere.  But, on this early evening I was keeping an eye out for a hawk or some other birds since green was hard to come by.   I didn't expect to find such a bonanza of wildlife on my little 2 mile round trip hike so close to home.




 Some identification help on this little diver who kept me entertained at the bridge before I turned back would be appreciated!


The birdhouses they've placed along the trail were busy with swallows chasing each other back and forth.  I love the shape they make against the sky, but they are too quick to capture in motion!


I scared off the one herd of deer when I came upon them, but these two were hanging out close to the trailhead when I made my way back to the parking lot.


Make time for that quick walk, it just might pay off!

5 comments:

  1. Nice wildlife photos! Those deer were posing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do what I do with swallows, wait till they land. Now down the road, is that a couple of miles or are we talking 10 to 20 which tends to be down the road where you live. Nice little morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could ride my bike to the bike trail...but I'd be tired by the time I got there, I know because I did it once! It's probably about 5 miles from my house I would guess.

      Delete
  3. Great wildlife shots. I thought your little guy looked like a pied-billed grebe, but I had never seen one with that black stripe on his beak. Well, I looked it up and that's what they look like during mating season! Cool/1

    ReplyDelete