NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

INTJ and Proud!

Perhaps you've already taken the personality test and knew what I was talking about in the title.





The validity of the Briggs-Myers Personality test and similar Jungian based tests like the one I took here are questionable.  So, if you take the test, do it in the spirit of fun.  If it doesn't sound like you then don't sweat it.  Katrina and I took the quick test and agreed with the outcome.



Katrina is an INFJ- only 1.5% of the population is this personality type, in theory.  Katrina is now calling herself "The One Percent".  What percentage of the population is INTJ...only 2-4%.  My personal experience leads me to agree with that conclusion, which is why I never seem to find friends who think like me.  I know part of the problem is I'm not looking in the right places due to limited rural options.

Here's a look at some of the key descriptions of my personality type, according to the test results:

  • Depict an aura of self-confidence which is specific and not general in nature - in areas of their own expertise they can tell you right away whether or not they can help you.  Ask anyone who's come into my office with a pair of mangled eyeglasses, I am not shy about announcing my skill and proceeding to demonstrate it.  While to some people I can sometimes seem boastful, I find no shame in owning up to whatever skills I may genuinely possess, but alternately I keep my mouth shut if I don't know the answer...unlike true "know-it-alls" who can't seem to help but weigh in on any topic.
  • Somewhat of a perfectionist, with an endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest.  What takes their interest is the key here, for while sometimes I am thorough and will dig away at something until the end of time, other things I could care less about. What matters here is if I feel something can be improved upon and I want to follow up on it, I can devote hours or research or work on any given project.  In contrast, if I don't care about it...sometimes this has been a problem in my work.  If it's not something I don't "believe" in, that is a priority to me over whether or not it's expected of me.  
  • "Does it WORK?" -  this is the underlying concept and applies to everything including social norms.  This leads to an independence of mind, freeing me from the constraints of authority, convention and sentiment.  Any of you who have read my rants on the education system, the Boy Scouts and my disinterest in the realm of gift giving and receiving will recognize this trait of mine.  I'm meticulous in weighing ideas, problems and solutions, and even relationships.  Do they work?  If they don't, it's hasta la vista, Baby.  Lately I've been a bit tireless in my constant search for what "works" in relation to my digestive woes.  I'm gradually making progress, trying things, and giving up things, that others would never consider in order to strive toward a solution.  As a teenager this was my approach to dating.  Suddenly my whirlwind of 2 week relationships make sense!  Were they "the one"?  Nope!  On to the next, no time to waste!
  • Little patience for the social niceties, such as small talk and flirtation.  Luckily Wayne has learned to not take this lack of interest in what is considered "normal" romance personally.  I can't wait until I get him to take this personality test!  On the flip side, the dedication I show to projects I also show to my most important relationships and work tirelessly to maintain them, especially paying attention to communication.  Big fan of personal space and boundaries.
  • Want everything to MAKE SENSE.  This includes people.  I will never understand figure skating coaches or most of the public school system.  How can they not see the flaws in how they relate to children?? It isn't working, and no one will take the necessary steps to do what works to make the children successful AND happy.  It's really not hard, Good Grief!
  • With an unusual combination of imagination and reliability anything an INTJ is working on can be equivalent to a moral cause.  Disregard of authority and contempt for "slackers" leads to loss of respect, and no trouble letting those who are letting them down know it.  Boy, do I recognize this aspect of my personality!  It has caused me some trouble over the years...but I don't apologize for it, either.  The upside of this trait is an ability to work independently and get a lot done.  Not all my bosses and coworkers have admired this trait of mine, because I have a tendency to make others look "lazy" in comparison, not to mention a tendency to tell my bosses how to do their job better on occasion in an effort to "help".  My current work situation involves me working literally alone most of the time, we have a small office and limited hours a doctor is on the premises.  Mostly it's just me - when the doctor is in one other person is there and I do about 70% of the work even then depending on who the other person is.  This situation has worked the best for me, and is why I thrived running my own daycare and managing our rental property years ago.
  • INTJs can rise to management when they take the time to market their abilities and learn to simulate some degree of social conformism to mask their nonconformity.  I have been in the position to "rise" a few times over the years but always pass on it due to my preference to do things my way on my terms.  If things were different and financial concerns an issue I could (and sometimes have) "conform"...but it's very stressful.  My last job I had to bottle up some of my personality to get along with another staff member for three years due to the recession until I finally quit.  
  • Where do INTJs thrive, career wise?  Sciences, engineering and academia.  My love of research and my fascination with neuroscience and other medical related sciences support this theory.  My desire to have a family was my primary goal as a young adult so I didn't pursue a college degree even though I was an Illinois State Scholar with ACT scores in the top 10%.  If I hadn't had the dream of raising a family due to being an only child isolated from extended family who knows where I would have ended up?  I love reading, and once I'm fascinated with a topic I'll read everything I can get my hands on to find out as much as possible.  In my current profession I do all kinds of tasks, but my all time favorite parts of being an Optician are hands-down the mechanical aspect and the medical side.  I miss cutting lenses!  My latest research projects?  Well, I've been doing my online research into a new DSLR and today and I went to a camera store to give some a test ride.  That Canon 7D is HEAVY!  I think I'll end up with the 70D within the next month.  More research first...just to be sure.

Katrina's INFJ personality definition? To sum it up: Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers. This rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJs taking a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.  Yep, that's our girl.  She's in the company of notables Jimmy Carter and Mother Theresa.  Too bad only 1.5% of the population works hard to make their dreams of a better world happen.  (See Katrina's debut in the Marinette Eagle Herald here in their Valentine's Day edition where she gets to shine a light on teen dating violence issues.)  By the way, if you've never seen the Vagina Monologues, plan to next Valentine's Day and help support violence against women while having a great time!

Katrina on the far left next to the girl wearing the boa -2013, her second time participating in TVM

I got Cory and his friend to take the quiz and they are both ENTJThey see what needs to be done, and frequently assign roles to their fellows. Few other types can equal their ability to remain resolute in conflict, sending the valiant (and often leading the charge) into the mouth of hell. When challenged, the ENTJ may by reflex become argumentative. Alternatively (s)he may unleash an icy gaze that serves notice: the ENTJ is not one to be trifled with. Clarity of convictions, an analytical mind with quick decision making skills, they are born to lead and have the ability to see the broader picture.   

Right away both of them shouted "I'm Harrison Ford!" when they read the list of famous ENTJs.  Boys.  They are also in the company of several comedians including Jim Carrey and Whoopi Goldberg.  Feel my pain.



According to the website where I took the test I'm in the company of famous first ladies Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton.  Hillary I completely see...the lady has a hard time keeping her mouth shut when she thinks she knows what the right thing is - whether anyone agrees with her or not.  Now I know why I've always liked her!  I love me a rebel!  Speaking of loving rebels, I'll lighten things up a little on Tuesday and talk about one of my favorite figure skaters in honor of the Olympic season.

Take the test and tell me what your personality type is!  I swear I won't judge...as long as you're not a "slacker", right?



5 comments:

  1. That was super interesting. I'm an ISTJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh, you have two ISTJ's in a row here. What are the chances of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the Myers-Briggs twice during my working career and, although I don't remember what I was, I know the results were different. This time I was ISTP, but I tend to be middle of the road with I and T being moderately and S and P being slightly. I think this means I have NO personality. This was fun - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I thought of you when we watched the world news tonight. They showed people walking across frozen Lake Superior to view the caves of the Apostle Island Lakeshore. So, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have to take the test again...I KNOW the answer and it's the same as you - INTJ. And so far off the scale in that direction, there's no "mixing" with any of the other traits! This is probably one of the reasons we hit it off so well as hiking partners. The only thing is that when I meet someone I'm comfortable with, I tend to chatter incessantly and I may have done that with you. I bet if we get to hike more in the future (and I hope we will), that'll settle down and we would enjoy an extremely comfortable rapport. P.S. Love your plans for April. When I can, will send an email.

    ReplyDelete