NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, May 6, 2016

Kincaid Lake State Park


I left Wisconsin at 8:30 last night thinking that I would be able to skip the worst of the traffic in Chicago that way. But it turns out that nighttime is not the right time except for construction work and lane closures. After a half an hour of delays I finally made it into Indiana just to discover that the same was true on I 65. I made it to Prophetstown state park at 1 o'clock in the morning and was asleep in minutes!


With five hours of rest accomplished I continued on to Kincaid Lake State Park near Falmouth, Kentucky.  It's a small, older park with sites that are very close together but I was just happy to be off the road and enjoying the beautiful weather and fresh air.  Even at 7 o'clock on a Friday this park is looking pretty quiet so hopefully I won't have to contend with fires this evening.


After setting up my new tent (my last one got ruined when I dragged it around the campground trying to get away from campfire smoke at Cumberland Falls! ) I took an hour and a half nap.


When I woke up I checked out the campground - where do you suppose you are supposed to put a tent on some of these steeply sloped narrow sites?? My brain can work out these kind of puzzling questions better after some exercise so I went for a short walk in the woods.


I'm not the only one that has been walking in these woods. Kentucky mud is good for capturing footprints.


A drive in to Falmouth revealed typical Kentucky scenery including a great cupola and wind vane.


And a beautiful painting on the side of the barn at the same farm.   I swear I had seen the exact same scene in a country decorating catalog so I'm wondering if somebody used that as an example and then made a bigger one for their barn.


Not much else to do here except rest. On to Cumberland Gap National Park tomorrow!

1 comment: