NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Kenosha in a Snow Daze

Lake Geneva just had their snow sculpting competition this month, and apparently this is the 5th year that Kenosha has hosted a family event called Snow Daze which features ice sculpting.


Unlike the snow sculpting competition one group made all the ice sculptures for the event, and it was pretty obvious that the Olympics were the unifying theme.


Wayne has had the Olympics on our TV most of the time this past week.  I don't mind it, but after an hour or two it starts to get tiresome.  I need a story, watching people do stuff just isn't enough for me.


Though I did enjoy Shaun White's comeback gold medal performance, I will admit.


Years ago Katrina and I never missed the figure skating events, but since they changed the scoring system the sport has truly suffered in its artistry.  Again, I like a story, and figure skating used to be like going to the ballet but on ice.  Now they are so focused on the most difficult aspect of any turn or edge that most spins and footwork look slow and awkward.  It just took the fun out of it for me.


A few more ice sculptures were scattered around downtown, including in front of my favorite neon sign in Kenosha.


The ice sculpture was even a replica of the sign!


A mural pointing the way to Modern Apothecary attracted my attention.


And there were a few cool things inside, though not cool enough for me to bust out my credit card.  I did enjoy the icy rendering of the heart on the sidewalk outside.


And the store carries Cognitive Surplus notebooks, which I would buy in a heartbeat if I had anything to write down!  But I am a digital girl, living in a digital world so I just took a photo instead.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the figure skating competitions uninspiring nowadays. I harken back to Peggy Fleming and how graceful and beautiful she was on the ice, but of course, the didn't "do" quads. Not as much fun as it used to be, for me. Jimmy has been parked in front of the TV also, while I find other things to do, and bless him ... he uses TV ears so I don't have to listen. Like you, however, we watched Shaun GO FOR THE GOLD. I think everyone in America saw it! (welcome back, Pam)

    ReplyDelete