NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Tarrying in Tomahawk

Tarrying? You are reading that right, sometimes a girl needs a new verb.  I've dawdled and lollygagged quite a bit, it's time to throw in a new word that means the same thing.

Is Jewel thinking: What is wrong with this guy?

After finishing up early with appointments in Merrill and Tomahawk on Wednesday I took an hour walk, then went back to the camper Wayne had parked at a friend's house in Tomahawk and took the kitties out for a stroll.

What was that noise?

They really like exploring Howard's yard every time they come visit, and this time Jewel even ran down the hill to the little creek for a look around.  No tarrying for her!

Here she comes!

In the morning we woke to temperatures below 50F and drizzling rain so it was off to Rhinelander to run errands.  We stopped at the Golden Harvest market where we dilly-dallied while admiring their selection of natural and organic items.  


In addition to a fine selection of gourds and pumpkins they had the largest heads of cauliflower I think I've ever seen.  And when I got to the register I found Seattle Chocolates for the first time since I left Seattle - Score!


When we got back to the cabin Wayne and Howard had a light fixture in need of repair, so I took off for a hike on the Ice Age Trail.


 Whenever I'm in the Merrill and Tomahawk area I seem to be in a rush and never found time to investigate the Harrison Hills Segment.


 The entire segment is 14.4 miles, so to complete that I would have needed to start much earlier in the day, not to mention have a car waiting at the other end!


Instead I lingered when the mood struck, finding fall fungi along the way.


Fall color is at about 25% in northern Wisconsin at the moment, next weekend it should be glorious.

Red Oak leaf on fallen birch tree

This segment winds past little lakes that are home to beaver and when I approached one of the lakes for a look three different groups of ducks took wing, startling me as much as I startled them.


What took me an hour going in only took half an hour going back out, giving me a round trip hike up and down the little ridges above the marshes of about 3 miles.  So, only 13 miles of that segment to explore another time...



I wasn't the only one dawdling, back at the cabin the rest of the gang had arrived hours ago to ride their "machines" but there they stood in the driveway talking instead.


And I know I've tarried at getting out those last few Newfoundland posts, but I've got to come clean and tell you that I have San Diego ones not done also!  I guess I better quit monkeying around and get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment