NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Vintage Style and Wise Words

Last weekend I went to Recraft and Relic craft fair which features vintage, upcycled and handmade items for sale.

Readers Digest Condensed books cut into letters-
also available on Etsy

I'm on a spending freeze because we put an offer in on a house in Newfoundland and now I'm pinching every penny for the downpayment I wasn't expecting to have to come up with until we sold our house next spring.


I just walked around seeing if inspiration struck for ideas for our new home.  I was really inspired by the above dresser converted into a bench; if I find a dresser that would work for this project at a garage sale next spring I will be having Wayne help me make one!


And I really enjoyed this trailer converted into a food stand, though not the cookie dough that I bought from them.



Other trailers were turned into little shops featuring handmade soaps or Christmas ornaments.


It would have been so easy to pick up a few things to buy but I restrained myself and just took photographs, telling myself that the pictures would inspire creativity at a later date.

This booth had black and white accents on everything

Here's a great idea, take sawn off wood pieces and toss them on the table as a centerpiece with scraps of paper and pinecones in a glass jar.


I already know that when we build our cabin in St. Leonard's that I want a few Wisconsin themed items to make any friends that come to visit feel at home.  I'm thinking a stencil on a piece of wood would provide all kinds of opportunity for creativity, though this metal cutout was very tempting.


I was also drawn to the booth of ceramic tile art that evoked that Prairie style feeling Frank Lloyd Wright is famous for.


And while I'm happy to be moving to Canada next year, I am still and will still be an American with questions in her heart about the future of democracy in this country.


Here is a quote from Steve Schmidt on the most recent episode of "Real Time with Bill Maher".

"Fascism did not rise in the 30's because it was strong, it rose because democracy was weak."  Wise words from a Republican, folks!

2 comments:

  1. Those are both wise and frightening words. Congrats on your Canadian house purchase! Perhaps I'll have to come and visit you there. :) I'm planning to retire at the end of next year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news on the house. Loved the crafty items! Of course they are always inspirational!

    ReplyDelete