NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, December 28, 2018

Looking for a Hike?

If you're looking for a hike in Newfoundland & Labrador here's a link where you can even sort them out on the map.

Freshwater cemetery

Or you can just start walking.

View from the end of the road on Old Settlement Hill

The views are great, even in the winter.  And despite what the forecast says, if it wasn't snowing I saw sun almost every day...at least for an hour or so.

Freshwater cemetery on the left, Placentia  in the distance

I make sure to walk down behind my Nan's house every time I go home. I can see Placentia from there, and I like to stand on the hill and think about my Grandad.  Other folks may go to cemeteries to commune with their lost loved ones, I go to the places where we shared happy memories together.

Fences were needed for the sheep Grandad used to keep

I walked for 45 minutes that day, and it wasn't sunny either.  Cold, damp, windy, and at times my feet would suddenly sink into knee deep snow.  I didn't bring a water bottle, but nature provided some clean melting clumps of snow for me so I wouldn't dehydrate.



I wanted to keep going but after climbing over the neighbor's fence I couldn't find a way through the trees and the snow was starting to fall.  Hard to believe that the next time I walk in Newfoundland winter will be gone!



1 comment:

  1. We loved our time in Newfoundland and glad we were there in the summer:)

    ReplyDelete