NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Woodsy Days Gone By

I saw a bear in the woods back before the leaves and the snow both fell.  He just stood still and let me pass by.


I got one final night in at Potawatomi State Park in Door County before the end of October and slept on a carpet of gold. Now the trees are bare and the ground is carpeted in heavy wet snow so tent season is done for 2018.


On my walk in Potawatomi State Park I saw one of the largest bear tooth fungi I've seen, at least I think that's what it was - it was a little taller than me.


Fungi were everywhere thanks to all the damp this year.  After a surprising number of snow days here in Wisconsin for November we've been experiencing steady rain for the last 48 hours.  I'm sure that means ice will soon follow unfortunately.


As I drove through Sauk City I spotted a mural that was done for their sesquecentennial.  It is the oldest incorporated village in the state of Wisconsin and lies on the Wisconsin River.  That region saw a lot of flooding this this year, I believe both the Wisconsin River and the Baraboo River reached the major flooding stage.  I've never seen such widespread flooding in the state - from La Crosse in the west to Madison and Baraboo in the central part of Wisconsin to the far north border at Ashland everyone has been struggling to stay afloat this year.

Sauk City Sesquecentennial

Sorry to sound so gloomy, the weather must be affecting my normally cheery disposition!
Linking up to Monday Mural


8 comments:

  1. The Patawatomie were here in southeastern Michigan too. I wish I knew more about them. Great mural in a really nice setting. It's sad that winter is descending.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely place. :)

    It's so nice to see the story of a place in a painting on the wall. Is that some information on the mural and the village, in that board in front of the mural?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bear carved on the wooden trunk.
    Never seen bear tooth fungi, but it's interesting.
    The mural is fabulous, thanks for contributing Pam. I can commiserate with you about the weather, I hate the cold, so lucky with our winters in Perth are short and not very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...fabulous nature shots and wonderful mural. I haven't seen the sun in a while, gloomville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice base and bench for the mural. I think many of us are gloomy about Mother Nature's weather revenge on us for our continuing bad climate deeds. Was the great bear in the state Park? Wish you'd been in the Smokies with me this summer to id all the fungi. Can you believe that in two months there I couldn't meet up with Sharon? Big bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a short "shock" that bear made me smile :-)
    And that´s a beautiful mural, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also had some floods, just because so much rain appeared at once...being mountainous there were mudslides too. I remember as a child in Missouri how the big rivers would flood regularly...Illinois, Missouri and Mississippi. But I have also heard all the dikes that have been built have not been such a good plan after all. Glad you get to tent camp, and I look forward to seeing next year's posts about it! There's nothing like getting out in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  8. luckily, you met a friendly bear. ;-)
    sorry to hear about all that flooding.

    ReplyDelete