NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Before It's Gone

When I was visiting Newfoundland over the summer I made sure to have a look at my Great Grandfather's house.  Here is a picture I just did a little work on in Photoshop, I believe he is holding my mother in this one.


Jack Whittle died when I was 8 years old I think, I visited his grave when I was home but of course now I don't remember the date on his headstone.  I do remember standing at his gravesite after the funeral, and one of the things I wanted to do on this trip was get a look inside that old house before it's gone.

3 of my mother's sisters with my Cousin Chris pose outside Grandfather's house

Once inside the buckled floors and sagging ceilings are a bit alarming, but I braved the stairs and went on up for a look.


The house is currently being used by a local to store his fishing gear mostly, and pretty much nothing is left.  The wallpaper probably isn't even the same as what my mother and her siblings would remember from when Grandfather Whittle was alive.


Up in Newfoundland the floor covering is called "canvas", and it was interesting to see the designs.  How old were these, I wondered?


This was the view my Nan would have had from her bedroom window, though of course some things would have been different.


Unfortunately going inside didn't jog any memories, which is disappointing but not unexpected. Besides, it turns out that the outside still interests me more than the inside...I even popped out a little knothole from the shed and slipped it into my pocket to take home with me!


Just a few more Newfoundland stories and then I'll start sharing all the fun I'm having in Louisville!

1 comment:

  1. What a lot of sounds/smells/events shared/emotions were contained in those walls! I love seeing old homes, and imagining the kids tromping up and down stairs, and the cooking going on in the kitchen. Good that you got to visit this one which was part of your mom's upbringing.

    ReplyDelete