NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, September 30, 2019

Rock the Kayak

One calm day about a month ago I took the kayak out for another spin.  I wanted to see what was on the other side of the Southeast Arm after our boat tour with his nephew and family.


It was only a 10 minute paddle from my house, and right after I stepped out of my kayak I saw a painted rock!


I don't know if this has caught on in the States, but rock painting was the big thing here in Newfoundland this summer. A few steps father along and I found another one!  These discoveries have spurred me on to participating in the craze.  As if I needed another hobby!  At least rock painting can be done in the winter.


No one lives over on that side, and no docks, so I can only imagine anyone stopping by to drop off rocks must have been paddling or rowing like me.


I was amazed to see pastures just behind the tree line on the shore.  They were pretty soggy, but pastures just the same.


I knew I would see some grass though, because one of the things we saw on our boat ride was a large black horse standing up in the meadow.  One of our neighbors pastures horses over there for the summer.  Horse has nowhere to go, hemmed in on all sides by dense trees and ponds.  Who needs fence?

Horse poop

Horse trails stretched through the small patches of woods separating the pastures.  Lots of poop and moisture leads to lots of mushrooms.  More on that another time, because you know I went back...


But first a pair of rubber boots was needed to get through all those soggy spots so I got back in my kayak to see what else I could find.


Some seaweed, some rocks...not another soul, not even the sound of birds.  Just the smell of salt water and a whisper of fog in the distance. Have I mentioned yet how much I love living here?


1 comment: