NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Pennsylvania State Park Sampler

Of course I made time to stop at a few state parks when we were in Pennsylvania.

Linn Run State Park
Linn Run State Park had ample picnic areas, along with cabins for rent and a few trails.  I walked over to Adams Falls from the picnic area where I saw the mushrooms, but alas the streambeds and waterfall were dry!

Spruce Flats Bog

Nearby Laurel Summit State Park is home to Spruce Flats Bog, not something I was expecting! From the parking area you can take a trail off into the woods for a hike or take the short gravel path to the bog.


As much as I love a hike, I couldn't resist the opportunity to take some pictures at the bog which contains large cranberry, pitcher plant, sundew, cotton grass, and other plants that remind me of times spent in Newfoundland.


Keep your eyes open in the early fall when you pass through the woods no matter which state you are in to see those fungi communities spring to life!



When I was passing through Quakertown I stopped at Nockamixon State Park for a half hour walk on the Sterner Mill Trail.


The trail was slippery from a recent rain, but the droplets on the Jewel Weed made a lovely sight.


Again, my eye was drawn to the fungi, here a lovely orange jelly variety.


I almost stepped on the tortoise on the trail, his shell looked like a rock!  I picked him up and moved him to a safer spot, hoping he was healthy enough to keep going.


Cook Forest State Park was probably the park with the best trail system, though I didn't get as much time to explore as I would have liked.


The North Country Trail passes through the lovely forest of old growth white pine and hemlock, where ferns look tiny compared to the large trees.


I was delighted to spot a small patch of Toothed Jelly Fungus (Pseudohydnum gelatinosum), I haven't seen one of those since a hike along the Alum Cave Trail in the Smokies in 2014!


I got a good stretch for my legs here, climbing up and down the banks to get a good shot of the trees down across the water.


While clambering around I found more fungi...



And even a spider patiently waiting for dinner to be delivered!


All that's left of our time in Pennsylvania last month is some murals I believe, yes, I did find some of those too!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like we had similar thoughts this week, I posted a Fungi too. Interesting walk you had there even the spider at the end which looks like the ones we have here though a little lighter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first photo of the little mushrooms is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mushroom/fungi photos! Also, some of the fungi you pictured might be edible. Have you tried any?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kind of treatise envy is usually without a doubt fabulous. My partner and i started out the actual aspect, wanted what exactly My partner and i required in addition I had some sort of endurance with no practice! That is asst seen viscouss guide memorial My partner and i see pro therefore drastically! Notion an individual pertaining to expressing this up-to-date people. Son of Prong

    ReplyDelete