NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Before Chicago Opens

I have a post or two left from San Diego that need some work, so I'll dive into something more recent. In late June I took Katrina to Chicago with me where we stayed the night at the old Chicago Motor Club after seeing Kathy Griffin perform at the Chicago Theatre.  Oh, yeah, we'll get to that another day!

Carbide & Carbon bright and early

But for now I'll just take you on my morning stroll that I enjoyed after a good night's sleep.


I had to be up and walking pretty early because temps were climbing quickly into the 90's, not something to be savored in muggy Chicago.  Instead of indulging in David's Tea I tried a doughnut at Stan's on Michigan Avenue, but I've got to admit the ones in San Diego were better.  Stan's ceiling decor wins hands down though!


Every time I'm in Chicago I'm inspired by the clock tower of the Wrigley Building.  The Wrigley was the first air-conditioned building in Chicago -imagine working in a suit in an office in Chicago in the summer before air conditioning existed.

The Wrigley Building

I'd imagine a lot of folks I saw walking to work on that Friday morning must change when they get there because I know I was dripping with sweat from the humidity as I crossed the Chicago River on the Michigan Avenue Bridge.  How is it that I always forget to head east and get pictures of the bridge and its 4 bridge houses from a distance?  So much to see, a plan would have been good, but then you don't get any surprises.



Any path I chose would have taken me past the Equitable Building which was built in 1965.  At the urging of the Chicago Tribune, architect Bruce Graham designed the building with a 175-foot (53m) setback from Michigan Avenue to avoid blocking views of the Chicago River from the Tribune's nearby building. A large plaza created by this setback was named Pioneer Court, envisioned by both Equitable and the Tribune as a monumental civic space in Chicago honoring various civic founders, including du Sable and Kinzie.  It nicely reflects the Wrigley across the street.


I wondered what was chalked on the sidewalk...



Last time I was in Pioneer Court there was a statue of Lincoln holding the Gettysburg address, now it seemed so empty in comparison! Between the Equitable and the Tribune were some colorful flower beds, which made a nice foreground for yet another shot the great Wrigley Building, this one includes the walkway on the 14th floor between the two separate structures.


Behind the Equitable I found the NBC Tower which is an example of postmodern architecture influenced by Art Deco architecture.  I love a great doorway!  I'm sure the views of the Chicago River and the city are amazing from the upper stories.


But to actually see the Tower I had to wait until later when I was heading back from my walk.

Hubbard Street pedestrian overpass looking through Plaza of the Americas toward NBC Tower

Back across Michigan Avenue is the Plaza of the Americas where Benito Juarez stands watch.  The statue was donated by the counsel general of Mexico in February 1999, and replaces a bust given by the Mexican President in 1977.  Benito Juarez [1806-1872] was known as the builder of modern Mexico. He was a Zapotec Amerindian who served five terms as president of Mexico. He helped defend Mexico against the French occupation beginning in 1862, eventually overthrowing the Empire headed by Maximilian of Habsburg and restoring the Republic.


Looking up I saw these guys already on the job.  I can't imagine how hot it gets up there when the sun starts baking off the granite and reflecting off the windows.  I hope they get paid very well and their day ends early.


I wandered for an hour and a half in total, and I'll save some of the treasures I found for separate posts.  On my return I crossed the Michigan Avenue Bridge again, but was too busy looking upriver to think about the bridge itself.


I should have paid closer attention to this little guy near the hotel but didn't want to stare too long.  His owner was setting something up nearby.  Artist?  Writer?  Homeless? Probably not the last as the cat looks healthy and the bottle of water in the cart indicates clear planning for the day.  Check out his little bed! Pretty cushy traveling for a city cat.


1 comment: