NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Setting Snares

This post is from adventures of Fall 2019

What does a Bay Boy do when cod fishing season ends?  Rabbit season!

Wayne and Tom get a few rabbits

Remember nephew Tom and his puppy Vader?  They spend a lot of time with Wayne, and sometimes I tag along as well. I couldn't wait to see where they were setting snares out across Southeast Arm this fall.


We took the Nomad out, and towed a rowboat behind to get us out to the snares.  No docks out there!  Wayne's brother, Tom Senior, tagged along as well.

Tom Senior shows me the way. Good spot for a tent!

Vader pointed up a grouse, and I even got a halfway decent shot through the trees before I got too close and spooked it off.


Wayne and Tom spend a lot of time crouched down peering into the trees trying to find their snares, so Tom Senior and I ranged ahead at times.


Wayne SAYS he saw a moose through the trees, but none of the rest of us caught a glimpse of her. Hmmmm... 


Vader got the most exercise, happily running back and forth between us all.  Isn't he a beautiful boy?


Here's a video of Vader I took when Wayne was rowing me to shore.


He took that swim eventually...


But, first we had to slog through the boggy trail.  I got stuck a few times and had to hang onto a tree while I yanked my rubber boot out.


It's a wonder Vader and I weren't covered head to toe with muck.


No rabbits in those snares, though Vader did find a grouse in one of them.  So Tommy threw it out for Vader to retrieve.



That's our Good Boy!


It was a nice change, but there was more standing around than hiking on that trip so I didn't go again until they started setting snares in Southeast not far from our house.  A new path?  You bet I'll come check it out!


I'm glad I did because I've ended up on this path quite a few times since the snow started falling.  It's not full of tripping hazards like the other one I usually use and the incline isn't quite as steep either.


Here's another video, this time of what checking rabbit snares is like for me and Vader.




There is a lovely stream just off the path that I've become attached to, I'll share some photos and video in the next post!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! It has been many years since I went rabbit hunting, but I can almost still taste the rabbit stew:)

    ReplyDelete