NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Celebrity Sighting...Newfie Style

Well, I'm finally getting time to try to finish up sharing my pictures of my walk on First Beach.  Nothing like an airport layover to help you catch up on things!   So far today's trip is going a little bit better than the one last week, all our trouble was in getting to our first flight.  First we took a few wrong turns to the airport in the fog, then we had trouble getting the suitcase lock to work and had to get another one at the gift shop, then the ticket counter had trouble getting our charges to go through for our bags, and to top it all off I left my laptop at the ticket counter and didn't realize it until we got to the scanners at security!

Aunt Agg said it looked like a good spot to come do yoga

Of course after sprinting back for my laptop and all the other issues we were the last to board the plane.  The reward?  Alan Doyle of Great Big Sea was sitting in the first row on our plane!  Newfies probably see him all over the place but it was only our third sighting.  The first two times we had to buy tickets...but of course we also got to see them perform.


If you're not familiar with Great Big Sea, give them a listen!  We also saw Alan at the baggage claim, and we were nice enough not to bother him. (Because we already bothered him at the concert at Summerfest years ago and got our autographs and photos then, don't-cha-know.)

beach rock with a surprise center

But back on First Beach there weren't any surprises, or Newfie celebrities, just quiet tide pools.


And some gulls and cormorants.






After passing my camera up to Agg I literally clawed my way up the last few feet of the cliff above the rocks.  Good thing all that winter-worn grass was there for me to grab onto.



It's not very often you can get views like these, more often than not you're greeted with fog, like we were yesterday when we drove out to St. John's to try to do a little iceberg viewing.  Kind of hard to see icebergs through the t'ick-o-fog.




There are more shots to come from our short time in Newfoundland, but we must say farewell to First Beach.  I was shocked when Wayne was looking at the pictures and said he'd never been there.  It was so close he could have swam there (maybe a bit of an exaggeration) for over 20 years!  I guess I'll have to drag him down there on our trip next summer.  Maybe we can borrow someone's quad and go exploring along the beach towards Argentia.  When we go next year we're starting in Argentia and making our way across the island with stops in places we normally don't have time to visit before taking the ferry back to Nova Scotia from Channel-Port-Aux-Basques.  We'll have to put all our Great Big Sea cd's on the iPod for the drive!

3 comments:

  1. Ditto here - that is a beautiful beach for walking and hiking and your pics are great!

    Rick’s Bits ‘n Bytes, Pics and News

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it looks like a fabulous place for yoga though a bit on the hard side for those sun salutations. Love the black and whites. Have to fess up that I don't know Great Big Sea so I can't share in your excitement but as soon as I have a better signal I'll give them a listen.

    ReplyDelete