NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Eagle Falls Trail at Cumberland Falls State Park

Okay, while I'm preparing to leave for Newfoundland this week I've got a few leftover posts I can schedule and have them post automatically.  I'll go way back to the second day of my trip in April and show you my hike on Eagle Falls Trail at Cumberland Falls State Park in Kentucky.


The 1.5 mile trail starts off with a view of the Cumberland River.  I was happy to be on the other side of the falls without all the tourists.


It doesn't take long to pass the drop and get a view of the falls.  I don't know if the view would be impeded by foliage in the summer, but I had a great view in spring.


The first bit of the trail is pretty easy, a gradual uphill climb that follows the cliffline.  I was too early for wildflowers, unfortunately.


Skip the spur trail to the "overlook".  I climbed all the stairs just to get a view of nothing.  The trail continues to get a little more rugged but is easily managed.


The latter section of the trail drops steeply down hill and also includes a metal stairway.  Try not to think about having to come back up that way too much!  Other reports say that during high water this section is inaccessible sometimes, but I had a straight shot down to the beach.  Just had to climb the pile of logs that were swept down river at some point.  Very sturdy and easier to cross than it looks.


Solitary view of the river, everyone else couldn't wait to get to the falls
 Once you're over the pile of logs it's only a minute to circle around the big rock and see the falls.  They really were very pretty and the temperature was nice and cool in the shade after the warm hike.



Getting back up that steep section required a couple of stops to get my breathing under control, but I've probably done worse since it wasn't a very long section.  It was a nice 3 mile out-an-back hike and a great way to start my adventures for the trip!




5 comments:

  1. Nice waterfalls! Gpod to see you out hiking. I need to do some.....maybe this weekend (we'll see how my ribs do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures including the shadow shot. Gee, I don't think I did one while on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a SUPER spot Pam; I love that you can take us on your walks like this - the scenery is amazing (wishing I was there)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful waterfalls. That pile of wood looks like a challenge though. Curious to know how long your drive to Newfoundland will be and whether the snow is gone from there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're flying - and the high is only going to be in the 40's! Next year we're planning a drive which is about 30 ROAD hours plus an 8 hour ferry ride...each way, of course.

      Delete