NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, May 4, 2014

We Left Just In Time

All that awful weather passed through the Smokies after we left, thank goodness.  We kept getting calls checking on us to make sure we weren't in the thick of it.  But after hours of driving we decided to make a few stops in Kentucky to make the day a little less boring.

downtown Richmond with stormy skies 

A pamphlet I had picked up said that Richmond had over a hundred buildings on the National Register of Historic Places so I just had to have a quick look.  There were a lot of old buildings, but most of the storefronts were empty and they had that overall feeling of neglect.  The Old Federal Building was cool - but the front door was locked even though it wasn't yet 4:00 on a weekday and there were people inside.  Drats!


outer entryway detail

We also made a stop at the Kentucky Artisan Center of Berea.  It was very cool inside, and I forgot to bring in my camera.  I did find someone else's post about it.  Our visit looked a little different, but you get the idea.  I'd definitely stop again, this time with a little money to spend perhaps, and most definitely with my camera because it wasn't only the art on display but their windows were pieces of art themselves.

When we left the Artisan Center we rode into town to check out a few of the local artisans' shops.  Mom went shopping, while I admired the public art.



There are 12 hands throughout town but I only saw three.  Two RV Gypsies stopped in town and saw some too if you want to check out their post.  After our stops in Kentucky we spent the night at the Indianapolis KOA in one of their lodge cabins.  Much nicer than than the state park lodge in Cumberland Falls and it even came with a flat screen TV! I like KOA cabins when I can get them because none of them ever use air fresheners.  I'd definitely stop again if I needed a place to stay in the area.  The campground sites were nice too for a place right off the main highway.

That's my contribution for Monday Mural.  Tuesday I'll finish showing you those Wisconsin wildflowers I found.

5 comments:

  1. Those hands are wonderful! The shot of the town is very pretty. It looks a lot like the streets in small town Alberta Canada where I spend a lot of time. Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather reminded me of what we had the other day. No doubt we will get it next. Nice murals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sense of worlds held in the palm of a hand. Thanks, Newfies, for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete