NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Monarchs and Milkweed and Dreams of Flight

I know I promised to keep talking about the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, but honestly I'm just not in the mood for such a serious discussion today.  So it's Monarchs and Milkweed from the Rawley Point Trail instead.  My head is in a fluffy and flighty place.


Why is my head in a fluffy and flighty place?  I had the best work day ever...an experienced Optician is joining my team, leaving me free to cut my 30 hour work week in half for the first time in a little more than a year.  Sharing is good, I'm more than happy to give.


Since she's experienced I'd say she'll be working alone within 4 weeks after she starts, which means that by the time we return from our October trip I'll have a much reduced workload.  What does that mean besides an obvious cut in pay? (Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the increase in funds... but I have less time to spend the money!)


That means that if I want to go camping in the middle of the week I probably can.  If I want to take a long weekend and zip down to Kentucky for some hiking in the winter, I probably can.  If I don't want to stay an hour after the patients go home trying to catch up on paperwork...well, you get the idea.


Even before I knew she was going to be hired I sent an email out to one hiking buddy of mine letting her know that a fall get together is looking possible.  My mind also keeps drifting to how nice Oregon looks in May.  Linda keeps saying she'd like to go hiking with me...it might be I'll show up in her neck of the woods with my tent in my suitcase next spring!

7 comments:

  1. Love your butterfly photos! Hey, anytime you want to hike here in OR, let me know! Actually mid July through August is nice too - less chance of rain and you can get up into the mountains. May and June are typically still wet around here (but don't get me wrong, it's still quite lovely, just be prepared to get wet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice that you will have more time to do the things you enjoy. Time is more valuable than money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for Monarchs and milkweed any time over a museum. What fabulous monarch pictures. I've seen lots of milkweed here on the prairie but no monarchs and I'm headed for the Rocky Mountains tomorrow. sniff..sniff... I want to see monarchs too. Congratulations on your up coming free time. The last few years I worked it was 2 days a week for 20 hours. I loved having 5 days off. Seemed a much better balance to me to work 2 and have 5 off than to work 5 and have 2 off. Here's to more hiking and camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great. I see big plans in your future. Even the butterflies are rejoicing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, this Tennessee hiking bud is going with you if you go to Oregon although I've got a lot of training to do if I can keep up with Linda's recent 13 miler!! Can't wait for that October trip you mentioned. I'm the lucky one there.

    ReplyDelete