NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Campground and Shopping Mall Reviews - And Heavy Thoughts

So even though I just returned from a trip to Newfoundland I hit the road for a hiking trip before winter catches me by surprise and spoils things for me.  I just have not hiked this year like I did last year, and I never did keep off those extra 8 pounds I put on this time last year.  Nothing lifts my mood more than tackling those rolling hills in Kentucky.

Irwin Park campground

So yesterday I put 300 miles behind me and made it as far as Edinburgh, Indiana. I've never stopped overnight there and after consulting Allstays I chose the Irwin Park city campground which I've wanted to do for  awhile.

morning view of the river

It was a nice little park for smaller campers right in the old downtown section, with a river flowing behind the campsites.  However, a word of warning because everything on Allstays was incorrect.  The park is RV ONLY, it is NOT free ($15) and it is NOT open year round.  I got lucky that it was open due to the mild weather, but I was the only one there and since I arrived after 8 PM I had no way to check in and pay which is done a mile away at the parks department.  This could definitely be a problem for anyone towing as it didn't look like there was much room to turn around, however you can pay ahead of time though I don't know how you then display your permit unless they go out and put it up for you.


When I settled in for the night in my car (no tents allowed) at midnight I figured I wasn't going to be challenged until morning but alas I was awoken at 2:30 AM by a knock on my window and a bright flashlight in my face.  After checking my drivers license and ascertaining that I wasn't homeless or cooking meth they gave the address for the parks department and a breakfast recommendation.  Of course when I arrived in the morning to pay I tipped the staff off to the inaccurate information on Allstays and they did not even know they were listed on that site, so a caution to all RV'ers to double check information listed there when possible ahead of time.


While I haven't camped in Edinburgh before I ALWAYS stop at the Premium Outlet Mall to get some Harry & David pears, usually for half off the second box that I give to my mother.  My best find was the sheep shaped tea infuser which I can't wait to use with all the David's Tea I brought home from Newfoundland!

Taylorsville Lake State Park , the last few autumn leaves hanging on above my site

My other favorite stop is the Mall St. Matthews in Louisville, mainly for their gigantic Dillards and the reasonable 6% sales tax.  My checking account is the lowest it has been in two years, but that didn't stop me from buying a few treats for myself.  Just half an hour away is Taylorsville Lake State Park, another place I have not camped at before.  The campsites seem roomier than I expected and even had flat spots for tents, something that is not always guaranteed in hilly Kentucky.  No one else is in the tent loop yet besides me though about half a dozen sites are reserved for the weekend.


I can't remember all the rates, but for a tent site I paid $17 for tonight and it is $20 for a weekend night.  A very nice shower and laundry facility is right between the tent loop and the horse campground.  There is also a RV loop which had a few folks in it tonight.  I got about a mile and a half walked on a horse trail before it got dark, invigorated already by the clean air and brisk exercise after being in the car so much the last two days.

I have a lot to think about tomorrow while walking the trails including how I might do my part in the coming months and years to help fight discrimination and support other human rights issues if things get nasty for my fellow Wisconsin residents.  I never imagined these would be the issues that would finally draw me out and give me motivation to give back but hope I will be able to help.  Even better, maybe I am wrong and bigots won't be emboldened by recent events and if they are they will be dealt with justly.  I am also hopeful I am not the only one out there concerned for the well being of minorities and that I am not the only one who will be moved to act.  Peace to all!

6 comments:

  1. We've been caught by inaccurate signs, and managed to overnight only by the skin of our chinny-chin-chin ... we were lucky. You talking about pears and teas, and I bought a loaf of Truckee Sourdough Roasted Garlic bread today. I always think of you when I pick one up.

    I had a perfect line for after the election, regardless of who won: "I'm leaving the country." And so we are, next week to NZ/AU for a month (so, we'll be back). I loved the line, tho. Haven't heard from you in a while, but I wish you peace, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A car is not a place I would want to sleep, I've done it once and that was enough. Least you had a better place to say the next night. Loved the sunset in the last blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Allstays, but nothing is perfect. Did you send a correction? There's an 'update' button on the info page. They update immediately on the website, but it takes a long time to hit the app.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature is definitely balm fir my troubled soul too. I hope everyone who vows action will keep it up rather than drop off shortly as usually happens. I'm hoping for impeachment as he's bound to do something to warrant it. Most definitely time to get the take back congress vote out for the seldom bothered with midterms in two years. Enjoy your pears. I find All stays and passport America often have it wrong as in nobody updates. I always call the campground to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature is definitely balm fir my troubled soul too. I hope everyone who vows action will keep it up rather than drop off shortly as usually happens. I'm hoping for impeachment as he's bound to do something to warrant it. Most definitely time to get the take back congress vote out for the seldom bothered with midterms in two years. Enjoy your pears. I find All stays and passport America often have it wrong as in nobody updates. I always call the campground to be sure.

    ReplyDelete