NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, August 16, 2019

Sugarloaf Path - Hiking with Leonards

Well you know I was excited when I talked my brother-in-law Jim and his wife Donnie into joining me for a hike on the East Coast Trail. How could it get any better?  Add another Leonard and now it was a party!

Jim's attempt at a group selfie at the Trailhead

Even though we were on the trail by 10:30 the light was already pretty harsh and the photo that the passerby took of our group was completely unusable no matter how I tried to fix it in Photoshop.  So, here's the trailhead sign without the Leonards.  We went as far as the Bawdens Highland and back, but must have taken a few side paths because Donnie's watch showed we hiked 5 kilometers total.

sign need a bit of paint!

The Sugarloaf Path starts at the parking lot in Quidi Vidi at the end of East White Hills Road. It's uphill all the way to the highland, but not too bad at the start with pretty views of the cozy village of Quidi Vidi.

Quidi Vidi Brewery is the large green building

Quidi Vidi Brewery has a Kitchen Party every Friday night with live music starting at 6:30 and we all made a vow to get together some Friday night soon and check it out.


See the red spot circled in the picture above?  That is 4 hikers who have almost made it to the Bawden Highlands.  Yikes, we have a ways to go!

Alverna's dog Zeus looks on as Donnie gets silly

 But that didn't stop us from stopping at every viewpoint and even goofing around a bit!


Anyone who knows the Leonard Clan will tell you that Wayne's sister Alverna is the silliest of them all.  Here she is below belting out "Here she comes... Miss America!" as I make my way up the trail.


 Signage was pretty good, but keep an eye out as there were many side trails to viewpoints and even a bike trail that intersects the ECT here.  I've come to discover that their trail marker is a black and white post at intervals where it's easy to lose the path.

East Coast views on the East Coast trail

As we were nearing our destination one of those bikers came coasting along the rocky edge of the cliffside.  We were all quite amazed at his nerve!


 The temperature was 70F/21C, quite warm when you're clambering up rock, so every time a breeze sprang up we'd take advantage of the opportunity to dry off.  When talk turned to night-time dreams I mentioned that sometimes I dream that I just "lift off" and float around, looking at all there is to see below. Wouldn't that be fantastic?

Ready for lift off

Most of the hike is on the exposed hillside but we did have a short section of woods before the final ascent up the wooden staircase.  Donnie and I noticed that the Blue Bead Lilies are starting to get their blue beads so my next hike will probably feature pictures of them, as well as lots of blueberries!  Don't eat the blue beads, they are not the same as blueberries and I believe are poisonous. 

Likely wet after a heavy rain

 I didn't count the steps as I brought up the rear of the group, but I was pretty winded when I reached the top so maybe it's a good thing not to know.  I always prefer a trail that climbs upwards without stairs, maybe it's my short legs or maybe it's that way for everyone.  Feel free to chime in below in the comment section on your preference!

Alverna yells "Sweet Genie in the garden!"
when she sees all those stairs

At the top we took in the views of Quidi Vidi and St. John's, and chatted with other hikers.  Donnie had amazing snacks as always, so I don't know why I look so cranky in the photo that someone took for us.

Donnie, Me, Alverna and Jim pose with Alverna's dog Zeus

Ahh, that's more like it, a smile!  Oh, and Alverna sticking her tongue out behind my back because she knew I'd be looking at the camera and not at her!


Hiking with Leonards was great fun, hopefully next time we can get Wayne to tag along!

No comments:

Post a Comment