NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Home of Lee Majors

When we visited Cumberland Gap National Historic Park on our daytrip we stopped in the town of Middlesboro to have a look around.  It's the hometown of Lee Majors, dontcha know.  Not a lot to see in Middlesboro, Kentucky, but we did the best we could.


Their county historical museum used to be a Carnegie library, so I couldn't pass that up.  Not a lot to see inside, but admission was free.



We laughed about the whole Lee Majors thing, but checking his filmography I realized we've seen him recently on one of our favorite TV shows.  He played Burt's dad on "Raising Hope".  Watch the clip from the episode Burt Mitzvah featuring Lee Majors at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7g-kBGXDjo
New season started November 15th but I haven't watched the episode yet, I'm sure it'll be great!


Just down the road from the museum was the Coal House.  It was built in 1926 from 42 tons of coal.
Located in an outdoor display is some mining equipment from the 1960's.


On the same street were two interesting buildings on opposing corners.  I have no idea what the "cutout" design is called or why it was built that way.  I know in Chicago they bumped sections out overhanging the sidewalk to have more space while paying less taxes, but these buildings are purposely subtracting space.


Those two buildings were the exception to architecture in Middlesboro, and in nearby towns in general.  As we travel around I am coming to realize how lucky we are in Wisconsin that we've taken such good care of our architectural heritage.



 Most of the rundown buildings downtown were empty, all the activity was out on the main highway with every chain restaurant and discount store represented.   We had a hard time finding locally owned family restaurants on this trip which we prefer to frequent those few times we eat meals out.

7 comments:

  1. It's really a shame to see so many run down towns across America. I guess things are just too fast paced these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that Lee Majors was from Kentucky. I always thought Texas for some reason. His southern accent is quite noticeable when he was in The Big Valley. I loved him - such a handsome man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled at your county museum comment as there being not a lot to see but it was free. Reminded me of the museum at the place where Confederate president Jefferson Davis was captured. It was a large one room building. There was an admission fee of $3 yet you could stand at the counter and see everything there was to see while visiting with the volunteer. I paid the fee to help support the museum. I like that coal house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me smile with the names of some of the places you visit. A lot are named after towns and city's here like Middlesboro which is not a place I would go over here. Loved todays blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose they can get more money from the chain stores than the independent, family establishments. A sad truth. Those corner buildings are very interesting. It does open up the space for visibility at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lee Majors - now that's a name I haven't heard in awhile! I loved watching "The Six Million Dollar Man" when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I was thinking "6 Million Dollar Man", but wasn't Lee Majors the name of the character, not the actor? I'm not sure . . .

    ReplyDelete