NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Good Night, Argentia

Most of our days, and our nights, in Argentia were foggy or gray.

Sunset RV Park from top of bunker

But that didn't stop us from getting out and exploring, of course.  And if you want to escape the fog it's usually clearer in Placentia, heck you might even need sunscreen.

Bunchberry ("Crackerberry") blossoms along trail

But there's something about Argentia that just speaks to me.

Lots of Pitcher Plants here

Just bend down and take a look while walking those Backland Trails and a whole other world is waiting to be discovered.  While the Pitcher Plant is known to many as a vicious foe to insects, few pay attention to the tiny Sundew.

Tiny carnivorous Sundews lined the trail too

Here's a fantastic link to a video from the BBC showing a mosquito emerging from a bog just to be snared by the Sundew.  I'm in love with anything that eats mosquitoes!  And I must say the mosquitoes were few and far between, unlike the black flies I encountered down by the silver mine.


There are multiple spots to head to for a view at sunset, and the first night I was there the sun was actually out so off we went.

The golden hour arrives

I found an excuse to wander off...oh, look, a path, or some such nonsense...and the next thing Wayne knew I was bounding off across the boggy ground in search of a clear view of Placentia Bay.

Our truck as I scampered away

At first Wayne probably scratched his head and said, "Where did she get off to?"  But it wasn't long before he was shouting my name and I was shouting back, "Just a minute, Honey!"

Notice the thin strip of land connected to the Isaacs that I keep talking about in center of photo!

He wasn't fooled by that, but look at this view, can you blame me?

Red Island

I kept shooting even as I dragged my sneakers out of ankle deep bog water, and then we were off down the hill trying to get back down to civilization before the moose started their wandering.

Fox Island

And the sky lit up like it was on fire, every turn taking my breath away.

Looking down on Argentia

When we got back to the RV the window shades were up and even the kittens were enjoying the view!

View of Red Island from Site #10


We had another beautiful evening of bay views when Katrina and Charlie took time out their busy work schedules to fly up from Milwaukee for a few days, and I took my favorite shots of the whole trip that night.  Come back tomorrow to see them!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one awesome sunset! Totally worth getting your sneakers muddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss those views. Was stationed there 82-83

    ReplyDelete