NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, August 20, 2018

Isaacs Surprise

So when Uncle Matt and I were thrashing our way through the woods out to our beach view of the Isaacs, or maybe at some other time (I'm old now, I can't specifically remember!) I mentioned to him that I wanted to go out to the Isaacs for a closer look someday by boat.


I was finishing a hike at Castle Hill when I got a phone call saying if I wanted to go out for a ride to the Isaacs, now was the time!


Not only was I getting a ride in a boat, I was getting a ride in the boat that my Grandad bought a few years before he died.  He ended up sick before he could get it in the water and never did get out in it.  My Uncle Matt took it out to the spot in Argentia where Grandad used to live as a child, and out to Iona on Burke Island where Grandad's father was from to "christen" the boat after Grandad passed.  

Surprise selfie, Uncle Matt!

When Wayne and I get a boat and go back I want to make the trip out to Iona - the population was reported to be 197 in the 1836 Census and 100 in 1921 and 67 in 1940, declining over time just as St. Kyran's and St. Leonard's did. The community was depopulated during the Provincial Government's Resettlement Program, though as with my Nan and also Wayne's parents the Griffin family had already left it behind.

Me sitting on the Pamela Jane
Grandad behind me in the straw hat

The only other boat that Grandad owned was the Pamela Jane. The fact that the only boat he ever got to name is named after me helps make up a little bit for all the time I didn't get to spend with him.  Living "away" has its rewards, but it also comes with a price.

Escape capsule lifeboat out for a test run

One of these days we'll go down memory lane about Grandad, but for now let's go down memory lane about my trip on his speedboat.


I held on tight climbing down the ladder into the boat and took a minute to make sure I had my balance.  My cousin Jason came down last and helped get her untied.  Uncle Matt started off slow, and when he shot me a questioning look I sang out, "Open her up!"

Cousin Jason peering into the water

It was a little gray when we started out, but just minutes later the clouds started breaking up and out came the sun.  The only jacket needed was for safety reasons, it was a fine summer day for speeding along on the calm bay.


We saw a few other boats out for a spin, maybe they were out fishing and were on their way back in.  Or maybe they were out for a pleasure cruise like we were.  As we neared the Isaacs I noticed no one was out hiking on them.  The terrain is better suited to a goat after all, and it's not like there is much for grazing so why would any animals bother?  I bet it's home to a few rabbits though!


Uncle Matt told me we wouldn't go ashore, and pointed out the "road" going along the edge that led out to the battery on the point.  I'm guessing it was built for the U.S. Navy to tote supplies from the beach area out to the point.  Even though there really isn't much to it, I sized it up anyway and I'm thinking that my cousin Darryl and I would have a run at it next summer maybe.  Here's a 44 second video I took just before we rounded the point.


As we came around the battery came into view, and then I wondered how they made it up to the one on the hill.  I'm sure there is a way up somehow.  See, lots for Darryl and I to explore!  I'm guessing access is around the other side somewhere.


We got a bit distracted from our admiration of what I believe is the Point Isaac battery by a seagull who was having a snack.  Of course we had to circle around and try to identify what he had.


I'm not a birder, but I do my best here at Nomadic Newfies to inform.  My identification attempt here is the very common Herring Gull which does spend its time year round in the southern reaches of Newfoundland.


Spend some time out at sea and you're likely to see lots of seabirds.  While on The Rock we saw Cormorants (shags to Newfies) and Loons galore in addition to hordes of seagulls.

Common Terns

Oh yeah, and no big deal, but we watched a bald eagle soaring around the granite outcrop too. I think I heard Uncle Matt say the eagle dropped what the seagull was eating, but I had a lot of information I was trying to hang onto so I could be wrong.

Bald eagle stops to scan the surrounding water for opportunity

If you want to see some fantastic bird photos from Newfoundland may I suggest Bird the Rock be your first web stop. The photos made me want to go back instantly and go on a tour, which they offer.

Remains of lower battery

Of course in the past we've visited Cape St. Mary's, which I highly recommend whether you are a birder or not.  It's a bit of a drive, but worth it. I'll do a retro post about that...after I get caught up on all the new stuff!


Between the two Isaacs is another concrete bunker or storage area it looked like.  This was the other side from the beach area.  Maybe there were underground tunnels connecting the bunkers and batteries? A bit of green grazing available!


I believe I mentioned in my last post that a thin strip of land connects the Isaacs to Fox Harbour, and of course the land goes on and on, tons of nooks and coves to explore if one has the time.


Of course near here somewhere from August 9 to August 12, 1941, U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill met aboard naval ships to discuss the Atlantic Charter.  The document was issued on August 14th and stated that the two leaders “deem it right to make known certain common principles in the national policies of their respective countries on which they base their hopes for a better future for the world.”

Fox Harbour

Sleepy little Fox Harbour has a population just under 300 these days, and legend says it got its name from tales of foxes that came down from the surrounding hills and ate the drying fish on the flakes.


It was a grand little tour, and my other uncles better watch out because Uncle Matt is fast becoming my favorite!

Visitors from the Facebook page for Argentia Naval Base, please comment below with any information you have relating to the Isaacs!

3 comments:

  1. My husband hiked out there two years ago from Fox Harbour.of course, he had to make sure he got back before the tide rose !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iona was separated into two areas. Upper Rams (Harbour Island) where most of the people lived in the 20th century and where your grandfather was born. And the Lower Rams (Burke Island and others). People stopped living on the Lower Rams in the 1800s and the cemetery is located on the upper rams. In the early 1930s tragedy after tragedy struck the Rams aka Iona. A massive August Storm took out most of the islands buildings and stages. A lightning strike burnt down the church and people began to leave. By the 1950s hardly anyone was left on the destitute Harbour Island with it's lack of vegetation but memories linger in those whom shared many parties and drinks with the majority Irish population over the years. The Griffins were great party hosts ya know.

    As for the Isaacs. There was a helicopter that crashed into those hills in the 1980s and killed all aboard but it is not often spoken about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know who made the comment, if you're uncomfortable naming yourself here please contact me via the Argentia Facebook page!

      Delete