NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Friday, August 24, 2018

The View From Here

It took some doing, but we convinced Katrina's boyfriend Charlie to get a passport and come see what all the fuss was about.

Katrina, Charlie and Cory at Nickel Lookout in Argentia

Charlie even marveled at the size of the slugs in Newfoundland as we walked out to the viewing platform along the Backland Trails.


Let me clear up for you why that might be so.  Here is a photo of two of them next to my foot.  And these were small fries.  Watch where you step, they are everywhere.  It's not only the moose that are big on The Rock.


But who wants to look at slugs when you can look at pictures from my favorite trail out from one of the bunkers?  It's on the Backland Trails map, I think it's at then end of Bunker Alley.  It doesn't matter because Wayne drove us right to it even though I get terribly turned around on those roads.


The view was so breathtaking that even Wayne had to stop and take it in.  The path moves through the woods onto a boardwalk across the bog and then up a stairway to Annie Healy Lookout.


I don't know what my little group was discussing when I joined them on the stairs, but as I walked past Wayne I looked over his shoulder and shouted...


"It's a moose!"


I don't know how Wayne missed it, but I got to be the moose spotter for a change that night.  


Everyone but Katrina climbed up to the tallest rock to get the most of the view.  

My favorite shot of the whole trip...I think

Charlie was impressed.  Whew!  Now we can probably get him to come back again!


Wayne and I had actually been to that same spot just a day or two prior but didn't see a thing due to the fog.  We rode up on our quad with his friend, Gary.  Don't worry, tomorrow is another day and I'll get the details up on that adventure, too!


The moose was making its way down and we got a move on, hoping we wouldn't get an uncomfortably close look at it as we made our way back to the truck.

No moose, only gorgeous skies

As usual I was the last back to the truck, lingering for yet one more click of the shutter as the clouds changed color.


I really like this one of the bunker door, too.  Some of the bunkers are locked up and some of the doors are standing open.  On a different day I poked my head in one and heard some rustling.  Needless to say I pulled my head out quickly and backed away, expecting a fluttering of bats to follow my hasty exit.  Next time I'll have to remember to bring a flashlight!!

2 comments: