NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Learning to Take Care of Yourself

A few of the blogs I've been reading have prompted me to write a post about healthier lifestyle changes. The Good Luck Duck wrote a post about cheap healthcare and the importance of preventing disease, or rather referenced another blog's post about it. Sharon over at Gains and Losses has a tab at the top of her page referencing her weight loss story and I certainly can relate to her story of struggling most of her life with weight loss.

1990- Katrina born, 1st anniversary                               1992 - Cory's christening
                                                                
Easter 1996

2003
 When I said I wanted to "grow" with Wayne over the years, this wasn't what I meant! But, I was totally inactive and completely uneducated about food. The one bright spot was that I had quit smoking in 1997 and Wayne quit after my father had a stroke in 2002. The year 2003 was a turning point for both of us in relation to our weight and health. Wayne was suffering with a disc injury that eventually had to be operated on, putting him on disability leave from work for 6 months. I went back to work part-time to make up for some lost income, and by the time he went back to work I was struggling with plantar fascitis from cheap shoes and standing on a concrete floor. I put on an additional 20 pounds during this time due to the increase in time spent "resting my feet", bringing me to my high of 205 pounds, while Wayne had also put on 20 pounds eating ice cream and peanut butter cups in an attempt to "feel better" while recovering from his surgery.

In 2005 a co-worker was having a little success going to a weight loss doctor, and I knew the extra weight was not helping my situation with my feet. I was also starting to be worried about my future, which I didn't want to include diabetes or other weight and diet related diseases. I made an appointment, got my information packet and medication, and lost 4 pounds the first week by following directions. I took Meridia for 2 months, losing 25 pounds, then stopped taking the medication and began the struggle on my own. I didn't exercise much that first year due to my continuing battle with my feet, and had trouble keeping my weight stable. Eventually my feet healed and when I added exercise things improved and more weight came off. I started off by walking, then walking faster and farther, and a year after I started walking I began running because the walking wasn't enough to keep the weight off anymore. I hit my lowest weight of 140 in the fall of 2010 and have rebounded back up about 10 pounds, but have held steady there. I don't run as much anymore due to problems with arthritis in my knees, so hiking has become my key exercise and I walk 6 days a week to maintain a healthy weight.

2006 - lean and mean!

But, as I kept gradually getting smaller, Wayne kept gradually getting bigger. This past year he started taking high blood pressure medication and at his last visit to the doctor she told him that high cholesterol medication was next if he didn't do something to improve his diet. I've been trying to nudge him, sometimes nicely, sometimes not so nicely, but with his work schedule I have no control over his eating habits. He works rotating shifts and overtime, and from day to day I don't know what time he'll be home so planning meals is impossible. Since Katrina left home I can't even cook a meal knowing someone else might eat it since Cory is gone for days at a time as well.  He has been trying to add more physical activity outside of work, but it's been sporadic and I'm very worried about his health.  Since I lost my excess weight and made a commitment to myself to be fit I am so much more energetic and happy and wish my husband would get to the place in his heart and mind where he puts this as a priority for himself as well.

Tomorrow morning I am going to start my parents on a new path. My dad has been diagnosed with diabetes and my mother with fatty liver disease. Perhaps watching them succeed will motivate Wayne to jump on board, too. They aren't too thrilled with my planned hostile takeover...it should be an interesting experiment, but more on that next time!

South Dakota 2011


9 comments:

  1. Weight could easily have been an issue for me. However, it never was allowed to get out of control. About six months ago, I have been on a paleo diet. It's been a great decision. The experience in an abbreviated form is at Breaking A Habit -- Followup. My weight has stabilized at 140.

    Try a paleo diet for 30 days. It is not the rest of your life.

    Two paleo websites that I follow are Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf. Lots of education there as well as success stories about what a paleo diet has done for many readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip...I think I remember you mentioning the gluten free diet on your blog before! Different things work for different people, I don't know if gluten free would work for me because I've been a vegetarian the last 6 years though I'm gradually adding a very small amount of lean turkey and chicken 2-3 meals a week for some extra protein. My digestive system seems to have trouble with the meat, I have to limit it to 2 ounces and then only occasionally. However, my co-worker could probably benefit from that since she seems to have trouble with gluten so I'll pass it along to her.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout!

    Maybe any kind of documentary, regardless of the diet proposed, would be motivational. The last one we watched showed the progress of a man who was around 430 pounds. He could barely walk, felt like hell, and was at the end of his rope. You see him lose over 200 pounds, run, play football with his kid, etc. It made us tear up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxi -Have you seen "Weight of the Nation" on HBO? Lots of good information for people, which I think is what's desperately needed in our country right now. Until I did my reading and got my education about food and eating I really didn't know what I was doing wrong since compared to most people I knew who were eating worse I thought I was eating healthy! Good luck with the cleanse...I'm curious how it will all turn out!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out! It's always been a struggle, but like you, I seem to be on the right track now. And with some changes in the way I eat, the "struggle" part seems to have lessened. But the part with which I most identified was the concern over Wayne. My hubs is not overweight and therein, lies the problem. Since he isn't overweight, he doesn't see that there IS a problem. But his eating habits are deplorable. Extreme sugar addiction, lots of fast food and I can't remember the last time I saw him eat a "real" vegetable. (French fries don't count!) So we've been doing a lot of talking while on this trip and he has promised to try once we are back home. Unfortunately, that means a lot more work for me as I've got to do the planning and cooking. But he's promised to stick with a "healthy" eating plan for 30 days and see if he doesn't feel better.

    So thanks for this posts - maybe we can encourage each other along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon - my husband used to be where yours is until he had the back injury and gained the weight. Huge helpings, little or no vegetables. A few years ago he had two brothers die within 6 months of each other who were both under 60. He's gotten a little better, he does seem a bit worried now, anyway.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this story is classic, I've read it a hundred times on the Paleo websites!

    NO NO NO, vegetarian and cardio is a misguided hoax and doesn't work for most people no matter how hard they try! I left a message on your blog entry for Nov 19 2012 in case you don't see this one. Google Mark Sisson and check it out.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, what works for some doesn't work for others. This worked for me for quite a few years, and now I have other issues that are making me change MY eating habits, but it's due to my food intolerances which is not a new situation for me since I've been lactose intolerant for over 20 years. You have to find what works for you, and I'm glad you have, but health, exercise and diet is not a one size fits all situation. My husband has always been a "paleo" eater and more of a strength oriented exerciser and yet he's on high blood pressure medication and is unhealthily overweight.

      Delete
    2. Also, my weight GAIN was due to a love of cookies and cakes coupled with sitting on my wide ass for almost 2 decades, not a vegetarian lifestyle or due to cardio workouts! Helpful hint...don't post on others' blogs in such a negative way, it's not very helpful.

      Delete