NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, September 3, 2012

In Waist Deep at Cub Lake

The only trail in Bear Head Lake State Park that you're allowed to ride your bike on is the little trail by the ranger station that goes alongside Cub Lake and connects to the Taconite Trail.  We didn't see the little footpath to the lake on our first pass by, but spied it on the way back. It's a steep but short and manageable climb down to Cub Lake, and we had it all to ourselves.



While staring out at the lake I noticed plants growing on the trees that had fallen into the water.  Pitcher plants! Well, that merited an early morning trip back by myself with the camera gear to try to get some shots in good light. Getting down to a spot on "shore" was tricky, and I soon discovered that water shoes were not going to be enough since the lake bottom dropped sharply just a foot from shore. Rolling up the jeans was not going to get the job done, so off they came and into the chilly water up to my waist I went! The rocks were slippery, so anyone as crazy as I am be sure to wear your water shoes (and your swimsuit) and take your time.  It's a miracle I didn't get any of my gear wet since I slipped and had to catch my balance a few times. No one came by while I was out there, and I think it was worth wet undergarments to get a closer look at the pitcher plants...photographers are crazy people, don't be surprised by what we'll do to try to get a shot!



3 comments:

  1. Love the pitcher plant pictures! Absolutely worth getting a soaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture is so gorgeous!! Love the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos! Totally worth the wet undies.

    ReplyDelete