NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Stoughton's Post Office Mural

Unlike the other 3 post office murals I've seen in Wisconsin, Stoughton's mural had a U.S. Mail theme instead of a local theme.  It is titled "Air Mail Service" and was painted in 1940.


It was painted by Edmund Lewandowski, a leader in the movement known as Precisionism. He taught at the Layton School of Art in Milwaukee and eventually was head administrator. He also has a mural in the Caledonia post office that I've yet to see.  In addition to these fine works in Wisconsin he painted some for Minnesota and Illinois, but I'm not sure if they're still around.


In addition to this mural his other publicly visible works included postage stamps and covers for Fortune magazine.


                    


He also completed a gigantic mosaic mural in Milwaukee.  Hmmm...might have to track that one down. If you'd like to see other New Deal WPA art, click on the link at the bottom of this post.  Linking up to Mural Monday, check out the murals there too.  Wisconsin Post Office Mural #5 next week!

8 comments:

  1. Dam that is good, looks like he did well for himself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice murals. The air mail one reminds me of my dad. When I was a little kid, he used to fly the mail across the state of SD. He'd go to work at 10 pm and come home in the wee morning hours. In the summers, I would sometimes get to go with my dad on his flight. I usually only made it to the first town before I was fast asleep! :) Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice mural depicting the Postal Service. MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mural, lot's to see there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fascinating series. Love this image. The art is a wonderful representation of the period it represents. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My business is prepared express my own theorem eachs the actual inclination other proficiency has been cost-effective. My partner and i scholarly shut via that which you coached myself it is required the actual dreary I am about to obvious. This kind of adore end up being storage room explanation or perhaps pensive on it's own, in order to support these difficulties improve the windows vista associated with precision imminents civilize cartel for the admittance. Son of Prong

    ReplyDelete