NOTE: IN ORDER TO BETTER SEE PHOTOS IN THEIR FULL 1600 PX. RESOLUTION, VIEW THEM IN THE ALBUM FORMAT BY CLICKING ON THE LEAD PHOTO OR ANY PHOTO IN THE POST. This is especially true for landscape shots. Thanks to Mark for the idea of adding this alert so the photos can be seen at their best!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Feeling A Bit Glee-stalgic

Okay, okay, okay.  I do not currently watch the TV show "Glee", but...I did used to indulge.  Why?  The musical theater, of course.  Being an ex-band and choir member, not to mention childhood tap lessons, this was a phenomenon that just couldn't be completely ignored.




My taste in musical theater runs toward "Chicago" and "West Side Story" not "Cats" or heaven forbid "Phantom of the Opera".  I like it peppy!  The only musical I've seen that wasn't community theater was "Wicked" in Chicago.  A lot of money and I couldn't see most of what was going on.  Give me the movies or community theater anytime was my take on that experience.

For some reason, the actual Glee music videos that used to be allowed up on YouTube are no longer available for me to re-enjoy.  The show itself was only good the first few seasons, and then only when they were singing or Sue Sylvester was causing havoc.

Anyway, here are my top 5 Glee videos, or the closest thing I could find to them.

#5 - Technically from "The Glee Project" and not "Glee", I couldn't neglect to include "Under Pressure"in this list.  Nothing says Glee like slushies.



#4 - I actually found an older video on the Fox website of a video clip of "Singing in the Rain" featuring guest star Gwenyth Paltrow, which I happen to have on my iPod, along with their version of "Thriller/Heads Will Roll".  That one I could not find, a huge disappointment for this ex-marching band girl.  We didn't do anything quite as cool as their marching band rendition, but I remember enjoying performing was "Tusk". So since I can't give you that, here's Glee's send-up to one of my favorite musicals, just follow the link.


#3- Probably the best overall episode was Glee's tribute to "Rocky Horror Picture Show".  Ah, that's the stuff! And even guest appearances by John Stamos...what could be better?







#2 - "Vogue" featuring Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch).  The best character of Glee, undeniably, is Sue Sylvester.  Whoever writes her dialogue has the best job in the writing world.  The quips about Mr. Schuster's curly hair are enough to keep me laughing for days.  Unfortunately, the rest of the show's writing has dropped dramatically in quality with every passing season.

"I don't trust a man with curly hair. I can't help but picture little birds laying sulfurous eggs in there, and it disgusts me."

"I thought I smelled cookies from the tears of elves weeping that live in your hair."

"I thought you might wanna put all of us of our misery and shave off that Chia Pet."

"Oh I will bring it, William. You know what else I'm gonna to bring? I'm gonna bring some Asian cookery to wipe your head with. Cause right now you've got enough product in your hair to season a wok."

"Your hair looks like a briar patch. I keep expecting racist, animated Disney characters to pop up and start singing about living on the bayou."

Anyway, here's a link to the official Glee "Making of Vogue" clip

#1 - "Single Ladies" featuring Kurt (Chris Colfer) - This is a mix of clips someone put together, if you're not a watcher of the show the B&W snippets are from the TV episode where when Kurt's dad finds him dancing to Beyonce in their basement he passes off the black leotard as "exercise" clothing and announces he's going to try out for the football team.  Funny part is he does try out, and even makes the cut oddly enough.  The blond, Heather Morris, used to be a back-up dancer for Beyonce and landed a role on Glee when she was called in to teach the dance routine to the cast.


On a non-Glee subject, my email notifications that I've got comments on Blogger now include a "reply" option that I've been using instead of the link in the comments section on the post.  Are you guys getting my replies I've been sending the past week from my email???

4 comments:

  1. I was a drama major and did a lot of theater in HS and college. I loved Glee the first 2 seasons, but it's really fallen off the past 2 years. I will watch it tonight for the Finn tribute episode and will probably cry thru the whole thing.

    I've downloaded a ton of the Glee music and have a playlist on my I pod. Favorite song - when Kurt does "I want to hold your hand," altho there are so many good ones from the first 2 seasons as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's something we're really not into... but some of the hair lines were funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I got your reply and wondered how you did it. Would love to have that option on my blog. Is it easy to add? I rarely reply to comments on the blog itself as people rarely go back to check, but have always wished I could send replies as email. Seems like you've found the trick to doing that! Please share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I wasn't talented enough to tap dance and play an instrument (I don't count the guitar that I played badly) , I was in choir and about 15 musicals, first in high school, then community theater. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete